Author Topic: The whereabouts of Murdo(ch) McINTOSH, Forres or Elgin late 19thC  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
The whereabouts of Murdo(ch) McINTOSH, Forres or Elgin late 19thC
« on: Thursday 12 May 22 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone
My first ever time on this board, and I am trying to discover the whereabouts of a Murdoch McINTOSH on very small scraps of evidence.  He was from Forres, apparently, and the woman he married, possibly in Glasgow in about 1920, was a Catherine McRAE, from Elgin.
However the only person who popped up on the search in that excellent Moray website suggested on here was a Catherine McINTOSH, née McRAE, b.c. 1851 and who married a Donald McINTOSH on 30th May 1890 in Forres.  I seem to have been fed erroneous info and I'm looking at the generation before.
Can anyone provide a bit of clarity?
Many thanks, Keith

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The whereabouts of Murdo(ch) McINTOSH, Forres or Elgin late 19thC
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 22 12:12 BST (UK) »
There was a Catherine MacRae born Elgin, 1904

No marriages in Scotland to a Murdoch McIntosh. Nearest was a Murdoch Murchison

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 May 22 12:13 BST (UK) »
Do you have any more information about Catherine? Date of birth, parents' names?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 22 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that info on Catherine, Kloumann, and I rather think your post crossed with this, Forfarian.  Unfortunately I have very little to go on, and I was struggling just now to log onto Scotlands People.  But with my new password I'll now have a better look.  This Catherine McRAE could well be the person who married a Murdoch McINTOSH some time in the early 1920's in Glasgow...(or possibly in the Forres area still)
Keith

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 22 12:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that info on Catherine, Kloumann, and I rather think your post crossed with this, Forfarian.
It did.

Unfortunately I have very little to go on
Is it Catherine or Murdoch who is connected to you?

What has brought you to the point of wanting to look them up?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 22 12:34 BST (UK) »
There was a Murdo McIntosh born Forres, 1896.

Death in Glasgow of a Murdo McIntosh, 1968, age 72

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 May 22 18:21 BST (UK) »
Right, I have a close friend staying with me at the moment with the surname McINTOSH, but initially with the help of that link on here  that I mentioned, and the very reasonable costings of Scotlands People, I have managed to unravel his family back to his great-great-grandparents.  The key, that I hadn't realised at first, was that his grandfather appears in the records as Murdo McINTOSH.  He was married to Christina CAMPBELL in Glasgow in 1920.
Before that the McINTOSH family lived in Forres.  My friend's gt-grandparents Donald McINTOSH and Catherine MACRAE were married in Forres in 1890.  His gt-gt-grandparents were a Peter McINTOSH and Margaret ROSS, date and place of marriage as yet not known.
Those rites of passage certs - marriages, births and burials - an absolute bargain at £1-50p compared to what we pay for the English and Welsh ones.  However the reverse is the case for pages of the Censuses, which we of course can get for free with a subscription to any of the several firms we can use, south of the border...
Thank you again, Kloumann and Forfarian, for your input...
Keith

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 May 22 19:40 BST (UK) »
     Searched ScotlandsPeople using M*c*Intosh. Found marriage for Peter Mackintosh and Margaret Ross, 1868 at Rafford, Morayshire. [Statutory Marriages 140/00 04]
                Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 May 22 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that, Ecksdochter!
I'll now pay my fee and download the image of that marriage certificate.  Will of course provide my friend with the info that will be there of who his 3-times gt-grandparents are...
Keith