Author Topic: John Murray  (Read 2982 times)

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Murray
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 May 22 15:44 BST (UK) »
John Murray Jnr and wife Elizabeth Laidlaw married in Falkirk, Stirlingshire on the date you have.

His parents details show as father being John Murray, seaman Merchant Navy. Deceased. Mother Annie Melville Campbell housekeeper, afterwards married to John William Buchanan Wilson, labourer (I think that is the name, writing pretty poor on this image). Fits with Annie's details here www.findagrave.com/memorial/204884492/annie-melville-wilson

So, at least two children born to John Snr and Annie Campbell?

Monica

Added: Some additional details here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778227.0  Did you manage to find anything on the two boys' time at Whinwell Home?

Hello Monica,

Thank you so much for your help.  It took me a long time this morning to finally find where I was going to reply to you.  Now, here I am.  Yes, all the information you gave me is all correct.  I also found John Murray jr.'s gravestone on find a grave.  I was a bit surprised to hear that John Murray
Sr. and Annie Melville Campbell may have had more than two children.  I was only aware of my father-in-law Robert Murray Campbell b) 1921 and John Murray jr. b) 1925.

I have not written to get more information on the Whinwell Home for children but I have read the post for the children or their family who have posted on rootschat which is very interesting.

Also I was so sure that John Murray's b) 1898 parents were Hugh Murray and Isabella Campbell.  I am so glad that you are leading to in the right direction.  All I can do at my end if to let you know that the relatives of John Murray Sr. have been very tight lip on providing information about him.  It makes me want to know even more about him and his life.

John Murray Jr and his wife Elizabeth (Brown) Laidlaw had two children who are still living, a son and a daughter.  I surmised that the son was named after his grandfather on the Murray line and that led me to choose Hugh Murray and Isabella Campbell as the parent of John Murray Sr.  Was I wrong!!! 

I have a new name to test with you until we get to find the correct John McComb Murray Sr. b) 1900 Slamannan, Stirlingshire, Scotland d) 29 June 1950 in Somerset, England.  His parents were Thomas Murray b) Oct 26, 1867 Greengairs, Lanarkshire, Scotland  and d) 1925 Slamannan.  He married Isabella Dick McCombe b) Dec 11, 1870 New Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland  They were married 21 June 1889 Slamannan.   I now believe that again I have the wrong John Murray.  Can you confirm, please?  Thank you in advance. 
Murray and Campbell

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 May 22 17:35 BST (UK) »

I have a new name to test with you until we get to find the correct John McComb Murray Sr. b) 1900 Slamannan, Stirlingshire, Scotland d) 29 June 1950 in Somerset, England.  His parents were Thomas Murray b) Oct 26, 1867 Greengairs, Lanarkshire, Scotland  and d) 1925 Slamannan.  He married Isabella Dick McCombe b) Dec 11, 1870 New Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland  They were married 21 June 1889 Slamannan.   I now believe that again I have the wrong John Murray.  Can you confirm, please?  Thank you in advance. 

This John McComb Murray was a coal miner, according to his marriage record to Euphemia Hamilton Rae in 1929 in Slamannan - so it seems unlikely he's your man either.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 May 22 19:58 BST (UK) »
In addition to ruthhelen's info, remember that John Murray Jnr stated his father was deceased when he married Elizabeth Laidlaw in 1946. This is one of the reasons I asked about Robert's marriage registration in 1944 in England to see whether his father was also recorded as deceased then.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 May 22 20:04 BST (UK) »

This John McComb Murray was a coal miner, according to his marriage record to Euphemia Hamilton Rae in 1929 in Slamannan - so it seems unlikely he's your man either.

Ruth

Thank you so much Ruth for your help determining if John McComb was actually the John Murray that I was looking for.
Murray and Campbell

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 May 22 20:08 BST (UK) »
In addition to ruthhelen's info, remember that John Murray Jnr stated his father was deceased when he married Elizabeth Laidlaw in 1946. This is one of the reasons I asked about Robert's marriage registration in 1944 in England to see whether his father was also recorded as deceased then.

Monica

Monica, thank you so much.  At the marriage for Robert and Catherine Campbell, they eloped and married in Flyde, Lancashire, England so no witnesses.  I did not have a marriage record for John Murray Jnr.  So thank you very much for that information.  Any little comment helps figure things out.  Very appreciated!!!
Murray and Campbell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 May 22 21:43 BST (UK) »
What did Robert state about his father on his marriage reg. if you have seen the registration. Just looking to see whether John Snr showed as deceased or not on this and a matching occupation of seaman, Merchant Navy.

Monica

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 11:45 BST (UK) »
What did Robert state about his father on his marriage reg. if you have seen the registration. Just looking to see whether John Snr showed as deceased or not on this and a matching occupation of seaman, Merchant Navy.

Monica
/quote]

Hello Monica,  Robert and his wife Catherine eloped to Flyde, Lancashire, England.  There weren't any family members on either side as witnesses.

Murray and Campbell

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 18:34 BST (UK) »

Monica

Ruth

A relative of my husband's Wilson connection gave me a name to check out.  There was a John Murray living at 46 Cowane Street, a tenant listed as a Labourer.  This would be a short distance from 66 Cowane Street which was a boarding house at that time.  He was there in 1921, 1924 and 1925, but not in 1930.  Could he possibly be the John Murray we are looking for?  Thank you anyone for the help. 
Murray and Campbell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Murielle

I understood there were no family witness as you mentioned they had eloped. My question was what details Robert gave to the Registrar about his father, if any. With illegitimate births, sometimes this box is left blank on the certificate.

Monica