Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 22 May 2022  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 22 May 2022
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 May 22 23:50 BST (UK) »
Diana - good news about the baby, I’m sure it’s a big relief for you all… hope you have a great visit with them… time goes by so quickly …

can’t believe it’s been 3 years since I saw my Son 😢and I’ve no idea when I’ll see him next either.
My DiL is soon going to either go onto dialysis if they aren’t able to get a kidney match for her… well actually for my Son to donate his kidney to someone in order for her to have one, they’re on a reciprocal scheme that would enable her to receive one more quickly… sadly his blood type is not common…. something I never remember being flagged when he was a child… so its a waiting game for them at the moment. She only has one functioning kidney anyway … makes it harder them being so far away too especially for her parents …

Anyway I’ll bet you can’t wait for your grandchild to arrive … such special times.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 00:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know the good news about the baby.
Hope your stiffness soon goes .

Our baby Dumpling is coming on so quickly ,she loves to watch my daughter’s
super little Border  Terrier, Flash Harry throws  a
ball, dog retrieves it,drops it at FH’s feet and barks to have it thrown again —— well my daughter told me during her Monday evening chat that Baby made a noise like a bark this afternoon when she was watching FH and the dog playing with the ball!

Lots of rain this afternoon .

My sister is back from her sad visit to Australia.
We had a long chat and more details given ,she seemed to need to talk and I just listened and gave a bit of help when I could ,that put her mind at rest
about things that would worry and upset anyone with a similar tragedy to cope with.

To end on a brighter note, the blossom on my little apple tree ,which broke in heavy winds ,but side shoots have grown ,has quite a few sets ,ie tiny little swellings where there was blossom, which denote there will be fruit !

Goodnight everyone.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 09:43 BST (UK) »
Victoria
You can only offer you sister words of comfort and be there when  she wants to chat

Another Rootschat baby due soon, won't be any in this direction, Gt grandchildren next but not to soon I hope, one being 22 and the other one 19 although I was married at almost 22 it seems so young in some ways to get married and settle down now, no doubt our parents thought the same way back, I do enjoy hearing how the babies are doing, I call them time wasters when they are so tiny and are such fun to watch, can catch up with things when they are asleep

Diana  hope you feel more comfortable now and get good results

The sun is out this morning, so much different from yesterday, no two days alike, I want to get out to put my bedding pants out but the weather has to be just right for me

Have a good day folks

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 10:18 BST (UK) »
It does seem young but conditions were so different ,they grow up too soon these days but lack maturity in some cases so when disagreements come along they don’t always cope very well.

I made a choice ,ie to get married as soon as I finished college ,I was 19, and
everyone thought it too young but I thought “ I will show you!”
O.H was six years older,steady and sensible , but I always remembered how many thought it would not last ,so I made sure it did and  to be fair it was easy thanks to his character and principles.

Last year the slugs did not bother with the geraniums but this morning in my garden patrol the blighters have been “ at it” ,I have a few granules left so they hopefully will help,I believe they are no longer sold?

A nice sunny day , I always leave fresh clean bedding on the spare bed ,but it has not been used for a while so all stripped off and in the washer and will be on the line in the sunshine soon.
I have made the bed up with the “ best set “ that matches curtains for when son number two comes on Saturday.
Too frequent washing means the duvet cover etc is paler than the curtains.

That man eating rose has  broken free again!I suppose it got top heavy with the heavy rain we had overnight .

Henry the cat has  “ been”  >:( in the flower bed - again- ,
He is lovely but sometimes I am not a fan .

Well lots to do ,and so must get in.
Good wishes to all, those worried,with health problems and just plain fed up!

Up until a few years ago ,the cuckoo could be heard across the  Irwell  valley
in the woods above Shuttleworth , sadly not now though .
How our world has changed and so quickly these past couple of years , I am so glad I heard cuckoos, the dawn chorus ,played with making little ponds for my pet tadpoles and getting wild watercress for them to eat sucking the minuscule amount of honey from the honeysuckle flowers,eating hazel nuts straight from the trees ,gorging on whinberries ,blackberries and wild raspberries .
Collecting small sweet pears from the gardens of long abandoned miners’ cottages ,playing house in the ruins .
Gosh what a rich childhood .

Well, must get on ,which CD today ,? have played The  Dubliners to death so maybe  The Houghton Weavers ,or Music of The  Andes ,Acker Bilk , Chris Barber—- whatever - I love it all.
Cheerio ,hope everyone has a good day.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 10:26 BST (UK) »
Slugs, horrible things, I heard a gardener on TV last week say leave them, NO, I have paid a lot for my bedding plants, well I will have when I get more, so I put plastic containers out and fill  with out of date beer/lager or something similar, I have been known to go out late and night when they are at it, my neighbour goes out with a head torch so she has hands free, whatever your choice in my opinion they need to got rid of

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 12:17 BST (UK) »
Walked  up to the top shops at 11am,  didn't realise  it was so warm, even hotter  by the time  i  got back at midday, a neighbour tells  me it will  be 26
 degrees today hotter than Miami apparently.This is the time  I wished  I  lived  nearer the coast.

Viktoria, no one  put up any opposition when  I  got  married except I was waiting for the bridal  car  and  my dear dad said "well, do  you want to change your mind", can't  remember the reply  I  gave  but here I am some 58  years later, my parents  really liked my intended at the time, I remember just  before  I
got engaged  I  had to ask permission to go on holiday with him and my   2 married cousins, my  mum said , " she trusted  ?", not a word about her trusting me, I  must  say  I have laughed  about that  but we  were almost chaperoned .
Happy  days

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 14:08 BST (UK) »
My M in L was truly fierce ,Ena Sharples and Mary Whitehouse could have learnt a thing or two from her, I was moaning a bit one day when my sensible daughter ,so like her Dad said “ Yes,but Mum,look how she brought up Dad”, and I was ashamed about my moan , I never really loved her but did have great respect and at my instigation we did a good amount for my in-laws as they were both honest principled people.
She had a chat with my parents about allowing us to marry when I was so young , how well we got on etc ,never really quarrelled and how her son had settled after his older brother who he thought so highly of had married ,when he might have been lonely as he was very selective about who he was friends with ,so she was glad he had met “ a nice girl “ —-
Knowing her she would be worried about shotgun weddings  etc ,even given her standards so strongly instilled ,in him, so it would have been my fault had our first baby come in less than nine months!It would have been an ever sharp barb to stick in me for ever and ever!
Haven’t times changed !
We got to 58 years ,I would have loved to have celebrated our Diamond Wedding ,but not to be.

Just tried to couple up my new hosepipe ,I think I have got old and new couplings mixed up!Water squirting all over the place .
A job for son when he comes !

Well back to the grindstone ,when all I want is to be in the garden.
Cheerio, look after yourselves,Viktoria.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 13:10 BST (UK) »
Whether own or extended family health issues, understandable to be concerned and hope all will be well and thinking worst scenarios, talking through and getting full picture too can help for the the better in some cases and expectation that issues are getting the right care. Good news re baby from Diana and nice to see you back at the keyboard MH and also Caroline following your surgery and seeing improvement, such difficult situations re families getting together though and especially long distance.
Unfortunate grim milestone for NZ today with Covid related deaths surpassing the 1000 mark, with ways the Ministry reports how virus contributed, many families dealing with that grief and the rolling average of cases isn't really dropping as we head into the winter months.

Another warm day of 22 degrees in Auckland dropping to mid teens overnight, did have a couple of days a bit cooler last week and we're in for slightly lower of around 18 for rest of this week and a bit of wet/wind/sunshine and showers thrown in!

Certainly good to see Her Majesty out and about again for a couple of events, she looked so very little in her daffodil yellow for Paddington.

I was a child bride too, not in teens like #1 sis who married at 19 but needed parental permission and mum and dad were reluctant to give to their eldest daughter and so they went for a court order which upset the apple cart a bit at the time, they will have been married 60 years next May and we're 50 years in January.

Getting free of your clinging rose Viktoria brought back memories of mine with a David Austin rose that did very well when I worked for a time in the botanic gardens, quite a change for me being out in the environs but brilliant surroundings, would come home and tell husband that 'Graham Thomas' had me caught up in the bed again! It was a triangular bed and the roses grew over my head and it was always a mission to get out while maintaining the bushes. Actually have a first cousin by same name, haven't seen for years as he's been out of the country all his adult life. Anyway, for a few years there while children in senior school,  I had every vase in the house filled with roses in season and that was a bonus, don't grow them at home.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 20:36 BST (UK) »
Diana - good news about the baby, I’m sure it’s a big relief for you all… hope you have a great visit with them… time goes by so quickly …

can’t believe it’s been 3 years since I saw my Son 😢and I’ve no idea when I’ll see him next either.
My DiL is soon going to either go onto dialysis if they aren’t able to get a kidney match for her… well actually for my Son to donate his kidney to someone in order for her to have one, they’re on a reciprocal scheme that would enable her to receive one more quickly… sadly his blood type is not common…. something I never remember being flagged when he was a child… so its a waiting game for them at the moment. She only has one functioning kidney anyway … makes it harder them being so far away too especially for her parents …

Anyway I’ll bet you can’t wait for your grandchild to arrive … such special times.

Caroline

Thank you for your kind words, Caroline.  How sad you have not seen your son in three years, and what a worry for them re your daughter-in-law's tentative kidney transplant.  Hoping all goes well and you get to see them soon.
I am hoping to find a little gift for the expected one on Friday, I get a kick out of buying gifts, and will have in the "Babies R Us" store.