Author Topic: biological family  (Read 1427 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: biological family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 July 22 22:53 BST (UK) »
Ardrossan, North Ayrshire had at least 2 Alcroft families in the 1950s until the present day.  The son of one of them was in my class at school (so born 1947).  After he married he settled in Dalry just a few miles away and went into the retail business and his wife had/ has a flower shop there.
As they all may still be alive I won't post names here but you can search Electoral Rolls for Linn Road, Ardrossan and Eglinton Road, Ardrossan.
cheers, Ian

They had a fish shop too
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 July 22 23:42 BST (UK) »
Annie McManus Alcroft the daughter of Rebecca was my 2nd cousin (once removed). - my link is through the McManus family.

Unfortunately there are several other possibles which I haven't been able to research. (it is possible they all refer to the same person but I obtained this information just prior to the lockdowns and haven't been able to visit a centre since)
1) ANNIE MCMANUS ALCROFT married Samuel MCNICOL 1937 606/ 34 Registered in Monkton & Prestwick
2) ANNIE MCMANUS ALCROFT married FREDERICK JAMES HOLLANDS in 1945  606/ 113 Registered in Monton & Prestwick
3) ANNIE MCMANUS ALCROFT married WILLIAM MACK HERCUS in 1947 606/ 7 Registered in Monkton & Prestwick
This should help...

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hullnow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 July 22 23:11 BST (UK) »
After putting my biological family tree on Ancestry .co.uk,well what I could find,I was contacted by a lady who it turns out is my younger sister.there is actually a big family,I was not known of by this lady,we have messaged and spoken and it is such an amazing discovery.I must say I am so glad that I`ve found more family at the age of 71 I thought it unlikely to find anyone.I always knew I was adopted and now find I have other siblings out there.well onwards and upwards.
watson,cross,buchanan.scotland
lummiss.suffolk,e yorks

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 July 22 23:24 BST (UK) »
Great news hullnow!

As you say, 'onwards & upwards', how lucky you've been in such a short time!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hullnow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 August 22 20:00 BST (UK) »
When i first started researching my family history ,first my adopted family and latterly my biological family i never expected to find living siblings,It was quite an Blimey moment.I have no need to know why I was put up for adoption,.the others of my family did not know of me but my sister is so happy that i have appeared.I may not have any known history with them but I am family.Family history research is fascinating but can reveal things you never knew or imagined but it is all part of lives rich tapestry and finding family you did not know is AMAZING
watson,cross,buchanan.scotland
lummiss.suffolk,e yorks

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 October 23 20:15 BST (UK) »

1) ANNIE MCMANUS ALCROFT married Samuel MCNICOL 1937 606/ 34 Registered in Monkton & Prestwick
2) ANNIE MCMANUS ALCROFT married FREDERICK JAMES HOLLANDS in 1945  606/ 113 Registered in Monton & Prestwick
3) ANNIE MCMANUS ALCROFT married WILLIAM MACK HERCUS in 1947 606/ 7 Registered in Monkton & Prestwick

I know this is an old post but I've finally gotten answers to some questions regarding these Alcroft women
No 1 & No 3 are the same person Annie McManus Alcroft born 1915 the daughter of Alexander Alcroft and Annie Mcmanus (Samuel McNicol obtained a divorce in 1945)
No 2 is the niece of No.1 and was born in 1922.She is the  daughter of Rebecca Alcroft  - no father is listed on the birth registration - Annie no.2's  sister is Alice Mcmanus Alcroft (again no father listed on her birth registration.)

My thanks to Hullnow for providing the Birkenhead link as Alexander Alcroft was proving elusive - he claimed in 3 different cesnus records to have nee born in Scotland but gave a different location each time - but there was a suitable candidate born Q3 in Birkenhead