Author Topic: Looking for the baptism of Terrence Keating ca 1839  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Looking for the baptism of Terrence Keating ca 1839
« on: Tuesday 17 May 22 03:41 BST (UK) »
According to his marriage certificate, Terrence Keating (transcribed as King) aged 37, single, married Mary McGurk, aged 28, single, on 3 Dec 1876 in Elizabeth New Jersey USA. His parents were given as Terrence and Mary.

Note: Previous thread  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=859445.0

Can anyone find his baptism or even any children born to this couple? Sorry I don't know where in Ireland he came from.

Jan

England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the baptism of Terrence Keating ca 1839
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 19:56 BST (UK) »
What was Terence's religious affiliation?
Are you looking for children born to Terence junior's parents? Both couples being Terence & Mary is confusing.
Do you know when Terence emigrated?
 Which U.S. censuses have you found Terence on? Were any of his neighbours likely to have been relatives or friends or former neighbours from Ireland? 
Cowban

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 02:11 BST (UK) »
According to his marriage certificate, Terrence Keating (transcribed as King) aged 37, single, married Mary McGurk, aged 28, single, on 3 Dec 1876 in Elizabeth New Jersey USA. His parents were given as Terrence and Mary.

Note: Previous thread  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=859445.0

Can anyone find his baptism or even any children born to this couple? Sorry I don't know where in Ireland he came from.

Jan

Are you working from a transcript, which you say is defective, or the original, or copy thereof?

Put another way, how much of what you state is known for certain?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 08:40 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone and Wexflyer, thanks for your replies. I'm trying to eliminate (or confirm) this Terence Keating as the one baptised 5 March 1838 in Dublin, the son of Jeffrey Keating and Sarah Duffy.

The marriage info for Terence King and Mary McGurk on 3 Dec 1876 came from a copy of the original return of the births, marriages, and deaths filed by the municipality of the city of Elizabeth NJ that occurred in that municipality during the preceding year. His parents are given as Terence and Mary, but I wondered if this was accurate, given that these are the same names of himself and his wife, also the mistranscription of his surname as King not Keating. The return is compiled from the marriages that took place during that year - individual marriage certificate were not issued until June 1878.- so there's room for error there. There's no mention of religious affiliation.

The only census entry I've found which might be him is in 1870 Elizabeth NJ:
Tem (Terr?) Katon, 30, moulder, born Ireland, parents both born Ireland
Kate Katon, 25, KH (keeping house), born Ireland, both parents born Ireland.
Unfortunately it doesn't give the relationship of Kate and Terence. She could be a wife who died before his marriage to Sarah McGurk in 1876, or maybe a sister or other relation.

Terence Keating died in December 1879 and was buried in Mt Olivet Cemetery on 10 December. He appears in the Mortality Schedule for the year ending 31 May 1880, age 40, born Ireland, parents born Ireland.

I haven't found a record of his emigration. I did find a record of his Civil War service in relation to his dependents. His service is recorded as CF, 8 N J Inf and F 6 U S Vet Vol Inf. He is recorded as Terence Cadden - this surname was used by his two daughters.

England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 19:20 BST (UK) »
You put Terence's wife as Sarah McGurk in reply#3 .
Cowban

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 19:24 BST (UK) »
As MS notes, and as the backstory illustrates, this seems to be all over the place.

If this were my problem, I would look for the church register entry for the Dec 1876 marriage.
Their religion is known, the exact date is known, the place is known, so can't be that difficult to track down the church.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 20:01 BST (UK) »

I haven't found a record of his emigration. I did find a record of his Civil War service in relation to his dependents. His service is recorded as CF, 8 N J Inf and F 6 U S Vet Vol Inf.

Therefore he was in U.S. by mid-1860's.
Cowban

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 21:48 BST (UK) »
Oops, sorry I meant Mary McGurk.

Wexflyer, thanks for the suggestion re the church record. I'll see if I can narrow down the church. I don't know their religion but RC seems a good starting point.

Maiden Stone, thanks for the timeframe for the Civil War re Terence's arrival. That narrows it down a bit.

England:

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 May 22 01:28 BST (UK) »
I don't know their religion

You don't??
Didn't your prior thread have references to burials - did you check the associated denominations if any? Obituaries mentioned High Masses and specific priest's names, et,  etc.
I was under the impression their religion could be deduced,