Author Topic: Looking for the baptism of Terrence Keating ca 1839  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the baptism of Terrence Keating ca 1839
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 May 22 08:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree. The sticking point is that that Terence Keating has given his parents as Terence and Mary Keating on his marriage to Mary McGurk, when it should be Jeffrey and Sarah if he was the one who went to Australia. So frustrating!
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the baptism of Terrence Keating ca 1839
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 May 22 15:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree. The sticking point is that that Terence Keating has given his parents as Terence and Mary Keating on his marriage to Mary McGurk, when it should be Jeffrey and Sarah if he was the one who went to Australia. So frustrating!

Two points:
- If this is one and the same Terence as the Antipodean chap, was the marriage to Mary McGurk bigamous?  If so, easy to see that information given might not be correct. I have seen examples of deliberate misinformation in such cases.
- Alternatively, given that OP thinks that the state marriage license is mistaken as to the groom's name, why should the parent's names be any more accurate?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area