Author Topic: Looking for the baptism of Terrence Keating ca 1839  (Read 1244 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the baptism of Terrence Keating ca 1839
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 May 22 02:05 BST (UK) »
There is this marriage in Elizabeth, Union New Jersey  1876 from Family Search and this shows a marriage to Mary McGurk

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FZG9-1XK

On it Terrence is 37 born 1839 and Mary is 28.
Parents were Terrence and Mary King for Terrence and John and Nelly McGurk for Mary

NB No Sarah. 

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 May 22 02:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks shanreagh, that's the marriage I have - apologies, my error in writing Sarah instead of Mary McGurk.
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 May 22 02:17 BST (UK) »
Wexflyer, thanks for the reminder. I had overlooked the reference in Mary's death notice to her funeral at St Mary's Church. Just checked - it is Catholic.
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 May 22 02:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks shanreagh, that's the marriage I have - apologies, my error in writing Sarah instead of Mary McGurk.

Are you still able to edit/correct that post?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 May 22 02:35 BST (UK) »
Just to help in the pinpointing (a ha) of the baptism what are the names of the children of the couple who married in New Jersey in 1876. 
Could these be given in birth date order.  The Irish did have a name pattern and as he was away from Ireland this may have come to the fore with names after the parents being high up the birth order. 

What surname did they use please for the children? 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 May 22 03:03 BST (UK) »
On this site there is an 1830 marriage between Jeoffrey Keating and Margaret Mealy in Dublin in 1830.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/f0fcf70046826?

Where did the possible baptism come from?  Are you able to give a link please (it might be this below).

Also has it been confirmed somewhere that Terrence Keating was born in Dublin? 

I have found a link to a record from St Michans in Dublin
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st.michans_mf_1850-1869_ba_0495

I can see Terentium, Jeffry Keating and Sarah Duffy but cannot read the surrounding text ie to pick up any sponsors for myself though the written record shows these are the sponsors
Sponsor 1   JOHANNE ?
Sponsor 2   ELIZA DORAN
Priest   O W

I have found the marriage of Jefery/geoffrey/jeffrey Keating and Sarah Duffy 16/7/1832 at ST Mary Pro Cathedral Dublin.
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/9a30e30047548?

He the father Jefery, seems to have a second name of James. 
Witnesses are
Witness 1   ABEL ANDERSON
Witness 2   ANNE DUFFY

This may be a contender for the birth of Sara/h Duffy.  23/9/1813 - only saying this as her father was Terentii Duffy and her mother was Anna (Anne) as was the witness to the marriage of marriage of Jefry and Sarah. 
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/ae2d6e0372035?

Another child born to Terentii and Anna Duffy
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/3fc02a0372853

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 May 22 07:07 BST (UK) »
shanreagh, Terence Keating and Mary McGurk had two children (on Family Search):

Adelade Keating bapt 1 Sept 1877 Elizabeth NJ parents Terance Keating, Mary McCrink
Catherine Anna Kating bapt 9 Feb 1879 Elizabeth NJ parents Terance Kating, McCrank

The Terence Keating you found in Dublin, son of Jeffrey James Keating and Sarah Duffy is part of my family. He emigrated to Australia with his mother and brother to join his father there. He joined the Merchant Navy and is recorded as sailing from Liverpool England in 1854/5. On 23 May 1861 he is recorded on a Land Transaction in NSW. After that there is no sign of him. Most descendants think he is the one in NJ but there's no proof. If they were one and the same you would expect him to name his first daughter after his wife's mother ie Nellie and the second after his own mother, ie Ann.

The children ended up using Cadden as a surname. Adelaide married Francis Murphy on 28 June 1911 in St Mary's, Elizabeth. She died on 17 Dec 1928.
Catherine Ann died on 26 June 1880.
England:

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 May 22 07:49 BST (UK) »
The baptism for a Terence Keating I found ca 1839 (actually March 1838) was with the parents Jefery & Sarah Keating that you gave.  Is this not the correct one? There is another Keating family giving birth around the same time in Dublin Patrus Keating was the father from memory. 

Who are we looking for now? 

Catherine Anna Keating may have had her second name to remember her grandmother Anna Duffy who was the mother of Sarah Duffy who married Jefery Keating. 
Catherine and Adelaide as names may have come from the McGurk side.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 May 22 07:58 BST (UK) »
The Terence Keating you found in Dublin, son of Jeffrey James Keating and Sarah Duffy is part of my family. He emigrated to Australia with his mother and brother to join his father there. He joined the Merchant Navy and is recorded as sailing from Liverpool England in 1854/5. On 23 May 1861 he is recorded on a Land Transaction in NSW. After that there is no sign of him. Most descendants think he is the one in NJ but there's no proof.

If they were one and the same you would expect him to name his first daughter after his wife's mother ie Nellie and the second after his own mother, ie Ann.

I think I would try to pin down this Terence.  The timing does seem to fit in with a voyage to the US where he may have been in the US Civil war, then married in 1876.