Author Topic: 1650s Cheshire - Quaker recorded birth followed by CofE baptism ?  (Read 406 times)

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1650s Cheshire - Quaker recorded birth followed by CofE baptism ?
« on: Friday 20 May 22 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have come across an ancestor whose Cheshire birth is recorded in a Quaker Register as, "Richard Sonn of Ralph Jannion of Newton was borne 17-10-1652". Just over a year later, on 20 December 1653 a baptism is recorded in the local Frodsham Parish Church Register as, "1653 ... December ... Richard Janion son of Raph of Newton 20[th]". I am reasonably confident these are one and the same child. Not least because Newton was a tiny community then - as it is even now. I am equally confident the father is the same person.
My question is, was it conventional for a Quaker child to be baptized in the local CofE parish church at that time ? Or am I missing something ?
Thanks in advance for any replies/thoughts/ideas.
Simon
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1650s Cheshire - Quaker recorded birth followed by CofE baptism ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 22 22:36 BST (UK) »
A couple of ideas.
As there are some 14 months between the two events, it's possible the first Richard died at or soon after birth, and another one born later. It was a common occurrence to use the same name of a deceased child, especially of it was an important name for the family. Have you checked this out?

I believe Quakers don't baptise their children, so the entry in he Quaker register will be that of the birth as you say.
Perhaps the parents decided to cover all bases, and have the child baptised in the C of E as well. Perhaps the child was sickly, and they thought this would be a good idea. Or perhaps there was pressure on them from others to do this - family, employers, neighbours etc.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1650s Cheshire - Quaker recorded birth followed by CofE baptism ?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 May 22 19:45 BST (UK) »
This was during the Commonwealth interregnum during the Civil War period. Did the government of Oliver Cromwell introduce a short-lived system of birth registration?
There were times during the next century when information about births of children to families who weren't C. of E. was collected by Anglican clergy.

Cowban