Author Topic: Hatton County Lunatic Asylum, Warwick  (Read 843 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
Re: Hatton County Lunatic Asylum, Warwick
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 19:49 GMT (UK) »
The patient records are at Warwick records office. I found my 4 x great grandfathers records and they were very interesting. He was sent there from Nuneaton workhouse saying he was a danger to himself and others, but I think the matron at the works house knew he was better off at Hatton. He had electric shock treatment for a nervous complaint, and I think on the whole they treated him the best way that was available at the time. He died there and was buried there. His record even had the burial ground reference on it. Sadly the grave markers were removed and used as landfill then the estate was built. I did find out, thanks to Warwick District Council, which one of the 2 burial grounds he was in. I did visit, and the burial grounds are marked with 2 huge stones and a plaque, but no names.
These days he would have been in a care home, and his complaint would have been treated better.
The team at Warwick records office are really helpful, it’s worth a visit.
Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....