Author Topic: Seeking please Christening/Birth entry of Mary PATTERSON c. 1808 Belfast, Antrim  (Read 291 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking please a birth/christening of my gg-grandmother Mary PATTERSON in Belfast, Antrim, Ireland. According to her death certificate (Victoria/Australia) she was born about 1808. Her parents were Hugh PATTERSON & his wife Fanny (maiden surname unknown). The family was of Protestant faith and I believe of originally Scottish origin. Any help her is much appreciated. Thanks, cheers, Rob

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

I see from online trees that there is a lot unknown to researchers about this family

3950/1897  MULLINS Mary  parents  Fanny / Patterson Hugh
  age 89      @  Ballt

Can you please list all the information on the death certificate.

Do you have a earlier document/record relating to Mary and husband William?....eg baptism record for a child......birth record for child........marriage certificate for William MULLINS and Mary?

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi wivenhoe,

Yes, certainly. The death certificate for Mary Mullin/s (nee PATTERSON) shows her death on 26th June, 1897. She died at the Ballarat Benevolent Asylum. The informant was the Superintendent of the institution. It states she had 6 children during her life. According to her entry record she had been a Knitter and of the 'Disciple of Christ' Protestant faith. Her son John (my grandfather) also followed the Baptist faith at one stage during the early 1900s. According the death certificate of daughter Matilda Jane LAMBERT (nee Mullin), her father William MULLIN was referred to as a 'Clergyman'. Her marriage certificate refers to William as having been a Government Surveyor. Family talk was always that the family came from Belfast, Ireland and then in hard times they came to Liverpool during the early 1840s, where William dies of disease. However I do know that John (son) was born in Liverpool, some time between 1843 & 1846. John himself referred to his father as a Civil Engineer. A second daughter Maria (born Belfast 1840-41) also referred to the Government Surveyor occupation so there must be something to it, I surmise? Hence at some stage there had been a change of occupation. I was told he 'gave up' his engineering work and turned to religious vocation, but who knows without evidence? I confess I have also never been able to actually identify a confirmed death for William nor of John's birth. I have always reached a dead end with this family group.! Ah well..I have also checked plenty of indices for a record of William & Mary's marriage in Ireland but alas I have not had success! For your information. Thanks, cheers, Rob

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The problem is that only limited and incomplete information is available for the period of Mary Patterson's birth. Only some church's have surviving records for that period and not everything that survives is available online.
Another problem is the location 'Belfast.' In the context of someone who ended up in Australia 'Belfast' could mean the city itself, someone a bit outside the city (remember it was a much smaller city in early 1800s) or even just somewhere vaguely in the area. My grandfather's great uncle, born around the same period, also died in the 1890s and his obituary says he was born 'near Belfast' but the family lived about fifty miles from Belfast.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!