Author Topic: Rogers of Thurlestone  (Read 262 times)

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rogers of Thurlestone
« on: Sunday 22 May 22 18:14 BST (UK) »
I've probably asked this before, but no matter.

James T. Houssemayne du Boulay, having run out of things to discover about his own family, turned his attention to that of wife, née Alice Mead Cornish. He wrote a self-published book entitled Cornish of Devon, which was widely known in my family, but probably totally unknown otherwise. In it, he says "Phillip Cornishe, youngest son of Thomas and Margery, born 1578, married English Rogers (in the Register latinised as Anglicia), of one of the leading families in Thurlestone."

If they were really one of the leading families in Thurlestone there must be some information about the background of English, my great[9]-grandmother, but I have completely failed to find any. I don't even know her parents' names. If I were a lot younger than I am, and still often going to Devon, I would try to consult the Thurlestone registers, but it's too late for that. These don't appear to be available on the web -- not yet, anyway. Unfortunately Rogers is a reasonably common name in England, so it's not much good looking the family up at genealogy sites.

Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers of Thurlestone
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 22 01:58 BST (UK) »
Have you noticed the sticky at the top of the page,free help?
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers of Thurlestone
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 22 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not spotting that marriage but I can see baptisms at Thurlestone for the Rodgers family back to 1560.
There is a couple Andrew and Joanne .
The records complete with images are on FindMyPast.
Mrs English Cornish married a Richard Courtis 1.10.1678 .Could that be the lady remarrying?
Also English Rogers d of Andrew and Mary buried 16.8.1664.

Ciderdrinker