Author Topic: Isable Kirk.  (Read 1693 times)

Offline up2you2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isable Kirk.
« on: Monday 23 May 22 13:54 BST (UK) »
Through my 23&Me DNA results I have contacted a forth cousin from Scotland.
Her maternal line goes back to the surname Sparks.
Although no mention of a Kirk on her direct line, however she came up with an Isable Kirk, who married a David Sparks, and had a son Robert Sparks, see attached images.
Although we have three names in the frame Isable (Isabel), David and Robert, we cannot make any progress from there.

If someone could kindly assist here please, I would be most grateful.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Isable Kirk.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 22 19:03 BST (UK) »
What are you trying to find - forebears or descendants?

From whom is the fourth cousin descended?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline up2you2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 02:10 BST (UK) »

Thank you for your reply.

The fourth cousin goes as far back as James Spark 1724-1809 and Margaret T Reid 1729-1797.
To date she cannot find a confirmed documentary entry of a Kirk, although we have been matched through 23&Me.

However she did come across what I have previously posted here.
As Isable Kirk maybe potentially related to us both, I am trying to go back on forbearers and descendants - both.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 04:06 BST (UK) »
To follow on from Forfarian...

Where does your paper trail end, who are you descended from, please list all children you know of in order.

no mention of Kirk on her direct line, she came up with an Isable Kirk, who married a David Sparks, and had a son Robert Sparks, see attached images.
Although we have three names in the frame Isable (Isabel), David and Robert, we cannot make any progress from there.

Please list all those details rather than everyone having to keep referring to an image (which of course is very helpful too) but visible names/dates/places are far easier to work with.

The fourth cousin goes as far back as James Spark 1724-1809 and Margaret T Reid 1729-1797.
To date she cannot find a confirmed documentary entry of a Kirk, although we have been matched through 23&Me.

As Isable Kirk maybe potentially related to us both, I am trying to go back on forbearers and descendants - both.

Where does your paper trail end, names/dates/places as your info. is far too vague for anyone to try & work out any possible connection?

Names / dates / places are key.

Just because there's 1 person in a matches' tree by the surname you seek, it doesn't necessarily mean that's your DNA connection although it can be a help.

What info. have you found through shared matches to help further?

What are the cMs etc. with your match & what details match with the shared matches & are there any overlaps?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline up2you2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 10:39 BST (UK) »
To follow on from Forfarian...

Where does your paper trail end, who are you descended from, please list all children you know of in order.

no mention of Kirk on her direct line, she came up with an Isable Kirk, who married a David Sparks, and had a son Robert Sparks, see attached images.

Please list all those details rather than everyone having to keep referring to an image (which of course is very helpful too) but visible names/dates/places are far easier to work with.

Where does your paper trail end, names/dates/places as your info. is far too vague for anyone to try & work out any possible connection?

Just because there's 1 person in a matches' tree by the surname you seek, it doesn't necessarily mean that's your DNA connection although it can be a help.

What are the cMs etc. with your match & what details match with the shared matches & are there any overlaps?

Annie

Thank you for your reply.

Correct.
But I was hoping that there might be those, who might be privy to resources that I cannot access.

Correct.
Unfortunately all that I have I have submitted in the original post.

Potentially correct.
My Tree goes back to 1725, and the proverbial brick wall.
I have to try any potential means to overcome it, this DNA match might be able to give me a new direction, to follow up on.

All has already been provided in the original post.

There are no confirmed or otherwise lineage links to substantiate this DNA match currently.

Conclusion.
I have a confirmed DNA match with 23&Me.
They in turn have actively researched their family Tree, just like I have.
On their maternal side they go as far back as a James Spark 1724-1809 and Margaret Reid 1729-1797.
Sometime after that, there is a connection between us.
David and Isable (nee Kirk) Sparks, son Robert Sparks could of course not be related, a red herring, but this is all I have to go on.
Alternatively, perhaps somebody can come up with an another Sparks relative, that married a Kirk please.

Yes for sure this is a tall order, but I do have three names in the frame here, with documentary proof.
The sole available details again:

David Sparks born prior to 1795, possible in Cupar, Fife Scotland
Isable Kirk born prior to 1795, possible born prior to 1795, possible in Cupar, Fife Scotland
Robert Sparks baptised 7th June 1795 born prior to 1795, possible in Cupar, Fife Scotland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 12:56 BST (UK) »
Correct.
So who is at the end of your paper trail? Someone named Kirk?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline up2you2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 13:56 BST (UK) »
Correct.
So who is at the end of your paper trail? Someone named Kirk?
The paper trail ends where it begins, this is all I have, can anybody take this any further, forwards or backwards, on these three individual names:

David Sparks born prior to 1795, possible in Cupar, Fife Scotland
Isable Kirk born prior to 1795, possible born prior to 1795, possible in Cupar, Fife Scotland
Robert Sparks (son of the above) baptised 7th June 1795 in Cupar, Fife Scotland

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 17:39 BST (UK) »

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 18:16 BST (UK) »
Are you descended from one of these Sparkes, and if not, from whom are you descended?

It is impossible to find a connection between them and someone else without any idea who the someone else might be. Bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, really :)