Author Topic: Isable Kirk.  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Isable Kirk.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 May 22 10:36 BST (UK) »
Q: David Sparks married Elizabeth Birrell in Cupar in 1792 - then the following baptisms appear, all in Cupar.
A: Elizabeth (Isable) must be all in the pronunciation, maiden name Birrell, potentially married/widowed/divorced a Kirk previously.
Unlikely.

The general practice was for a married woman to retain her own name, and when a widow remarries she is normally recorded by her own name, not that of her deceased husband. She may be described as [her own name], widow (or relict) of [deceased husband's name], but not usually by only her given name and her deceased husband's surname.

In the late 1700s, divorce required an Act of Parliament so in practice it was an option only for the super-rich.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline up2you2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 May 22 12:41 BST (UK) »
Q: So what is the paper trail leading back to this couple?
A: That's the problem, there is no paper trail to establish that we are related.
I'm sorry, but I remain confused.

If you have not done any paper research into you own direct ancestors, how do you know that you are descended from James Kirk and Elizabeth Brown? DNA alone is not sufficient to prove descendancy.

You have come across an Isabel Kirk (who may not in fact be Isabel Kirk if ruthhelen is correct, as she usually is), and want to find out if she is connected to you? Why this particular Isabel Kirk (if she was actually Isabel Kirk) and not one of the 15 whose baptisms between 1740 and 1780 are on record?

James Kirk and Elizabeth Brown/Broun had five recorded children, all baptised in the parish of Durisdeer, Dumfries-shire, between 1759 and 1771. They did not include an Isabel(la). 

David Sparks and Isable Kirk had a son Robert baptised in the parish of Cupar, Fife in 1795. Isable Kirk may be (probably is) the Elizabeth Birrell who was the wife of David Sparks and mother of three other children baptised in Cupar on dates that would fit them being siblings of Robert.

Durisdeer and Cupar are over 100 miles apart, which is quite a long way by 19th century standards when land travel was only by muscle power.

Why do you think that the wife of David Sparks (who may not even be a Kirk at all) has anything to do with James Kirk and Elizabeth Brown?

On the contrary, I have done eleven years work on my Tree. Mostly done by a childhood friend.

However I have been unable to do any successful research on Isable Kirk.
The Sparks were the people who just came across this sole one entry of Isable Kirk.
They in turn tried exhaustively, to work both forwards and backwards from her, again unfortunately they have not been able to find anything on her.
So I in turn, out of desperation, I threw this open in a post on Rootschat.

Correct, and yes I'm grasping at straws here, the Sparks lead of an Isable Kirk is all I have presently to go on.
The Sparks and I are related, albeit very remotely, solely through a DNA match presently, so when they found a Kirk link, I had to follow this up.

Correct James Kirk and Elizabeth Brown/Broun had five recorded children, all baptised in the parish of Durisdeer, Dumfries-shire, between 1759 and 1771. They did not include an Isabel(la).

Q: David Sparks and Isable Kirk had a son Robert baptised in the parish of Cupar, Fife in 1795. Isable Kirk may be (probably is) the Elizabeth Birrell who was the wife of David Sparks and mother of three other children baptised in Cupar on dates that would fit them being siblings of Robert.
A: Yes this could be true.

Q: Durisdeer and Cupar are over 100 miles apart, which is quite a long way by 19th century standards when land travel was only by muscle power.
A: Yes I to have wondered at thisf.

Q: Why do you think that the wife of David Sparks (who may not even be a Kirk at all) has anything to do with James Kirk and Elizabeth Brown?
A: What you are saying here, that there is nothing to prove a connection, outside a birth registration entry, her names Isable Kirk maybe wrong, that they are from different parts of the country.
So all in all, at the moment, through everybodies research, nothing stacks up here.

To maybe it is a case to completely going back to the drawing board, and trying to find another Sparks Kirk connection, that could indeed confirm our 23&Me DNA match.
As I cannot get past this brick wall of James Kirk Abt. 1725- traditionally, the only way to surmount it, is in following up on DNA matches.

Offline j__spark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi all (I am a direct descendant from the Spark, Sparks or Sparkes (a bright Spark).    :).  I have had my DNA tested by My Heritage.  Through my Spark side, I have been contacted by my cousin, her daughter and her son, also a second cousin on my maternal side.  I am interested in my direct line on my maternal side… I have documented it between census and SRI, now OPR territory is another story.  I am interested if anyone could help me get past my brick wall.  I gave information which I had not validated.  I tried using the naming pattern, somehow it wasn’t working for me, or there is something I missed.  Spark or Sparks is the male side, and going back the tree, Celia Wilson, Jean Wallace (first wife) Catherine  Dewar (second wife) to James Spark, Margaret Ireland.  Could someone please help to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I had mistakenly copied information on Ancestry and well after trying to confirm it as valid I unfortunately passed on this information to a relation I mistakenly looked up Isabel Kirk and David Spark, and I am to blame for that.  The reason for all this search is because my sister has her DNA test done on 23and me and so did the other person.  Many thanks in advance hoping someone could help us verify or tell us where we are backing up the wrong tree.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 20:50 BST (UK) »
Spark or Sparks is the male side, and going back the tree, Celia Wilson, Jean Wallace (first wife) Catherine  Dewar (second wife) to James Spark, Margaret Ireland.  Could someone please help to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 
Make it easy for us ..... :)

- who married Celia Wilson, when and where?
- who married Jean Wallace and Catherine Dewar, when and where?
- who married Margaret Ireland, when and where?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline j__spark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 June 22 06:14 BST (UK) »
All these people have passed, I am including my own mother. So I am getting near to the bone. 

Margaret Spark m John Herkes 18 July 1944 Dalkeith, Midlothian
Annie Pleasants m John Spark 19 Jan 1909 Plymouth, Devon
Cecilia Spark m James Spark 20 Dec 1872 Leven, Scoonie, Fife
The above James Spark also married Mary Lamb 1894,Peterhead, Aberdeenshire.
Jean Wallace m James Sparks 25 Nov 1827 Kirkcaldy  Catherine Dewar m the same James Sparks 1 Oct 1842 Kettle, Fife
Margaret Ireland m James Sparks 6 Sept 1787, Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh (father of the bride) Alexander Ireland.

I had this all written last night, but the IPad was not connected to internet, I went to do a spelling check and lost it.

I hope all the information I have written is helpful.

Cheers for now.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 June 22 13:57 BST (UK) »
Cecilia Spark m James Spark 20 Dec 1872 Leven, Scoonie, Fife
Are you descended from both of the above Sparks?

Who were the parents of both & can you add more info. with dates please?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline j__spark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 June 22 15:05 BST (UK) »
Cecilia Spark.... Should read Cecilia Wilson.  You will see two brothers married to two sisters. 

Offline j__spark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 June 22 15:17 BST (UK) »
more on my direct line.