Author Topic: Tanyard / Tannery - Kingsbury Family  (Read 577 times)

Offline JoKi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tanyard / Tannery - Kingsbury Family
« on: Wednesday 25 May 22 09:52 BST (UK) »
The Kingsbury family lived in Kent and East Sussex from the early 1800's and Tanners repeatedly come up as their occupation. 

On various censuses, "High Street, Tunbridge" shows an occupation of "Leather Cutter" (1861 and 1871). And "52 Frant Road, Frant, Tunbridge Wells" shows occupations of "Tanner & Leather Seller", plus "Leather Shop Assistant"  for the eldest son (1881).  After this, censuses show they moved to a Tanyard in Withyham, Groombridge (on which I have been able to find a bit of info).

I realise the addresses on the censuses may or may not be the address of the Tanyards, so I have browsed through many old Kent area photos online in the vain hope of finding a Tanyard, but nothing has come up.

Just wondered if any of you knowledgeable people have ever come across photos or mention of a Tanyard in the Tunbridge area around the mid to late 1800's please?  Thanks.

Offline Ahpatz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Tanyard / Tannery - Kingsbury Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 22 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi. My great grandmother was called Ethel Eugenie Kingsbury (not sure of her DOB but she married in 1913) and I believe her father was a tanner in Groombridge. I don't know of any photos but I will ask a family member who has been done a bit of genealogy.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 21:53 BST (UK) »
There are 40 articles concerning Tanyard Groombridge in the Newspaper collection on FindMyPast.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline JoKi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi. My great grandmother was called Ethel Eugenie Kingsbury (not sure of her DOB but she married in 1913) and I believe her father was a tanner in Groombridge. I don't know of any photos but I will ask a family member who has been done a bit of genealogy.
Hi,
We're connected in some way (I'm rubbish at working it out)!  Yes, Ethel Eugenie's father was Arthur Kingsbury, and then his father was Thomas Jeremiah Kingsbury, who was originally connected to the Tanyard in Groombridge. 
I knew nothing apart from my immediate family when I started my research, so am always keen to find out more, and am always looking out for any photos.
I would love to know if you have any photos at all of any of the ancestors, and/or the Tannery, etc etc.  I'd be really grateful if you could ask your family member who has done the genealogy please!  In return, I would be happy to look up things in my research if you have any questions.
Thanks!

Offline JoKi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
There are 40 articles concerning Tanyard Groombridge in the Newspaper collection on FindMyPast.
Hi,
Wow, thanks for that info!  I've never really gone on Find My Past - I tend to just dip into Ancestry for a month here and there, and also do lots of random searches online which have often been helpful.  I didn't actually even realise the FindMyPast had a newspaper collection.  I'll have to look into it and find out what the subscription costs are.
Many thanks for letting me know.

Offline JoKi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 22:26 BST (UK) »
I meant to also say (seeing your name interests), I have an Alfred Kingsbury married to an Ann Maria Waghorn (b. About 1843 in East Peckham, Kent) ... is she one of yours?