Author Topic: Ellen SLOGGETT (née ANGOVE) b. 1849 death record  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen SLOGGETT (née ANGOVE) b. 1849 death record
« on: Wednesday 25 May 22 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else would have any more luck trying to find the death record or what ultimately became of Ellen ANGOVE, dau. of Abel ANGOVE and Catherine ALLEN b. Q'2 1849, Illogan.

Ellen married William Billing SLOGGETT 13 November 1875, Redruth. William and Ellen had three daughters
- Catherine, b. 29 December 1875, Illogan
- Mary Ellen, b. 22 February 1878, Camborne
- Priscilla (Jane) b. 24 April 1880

William died just a week or so after Priscilla was born on 2 May 1880 at Camborne, and Ellen can be found as a pauper and widow in the 1881 with all three daughters as 'Katie', 'Mary' and 'Jane' at 83 North Road, Camborne. Her daughter Priscilla d. Q'3 1881, Redruth. Catherine and Mary Ellen survived however, and they can be found in the 1891 census, albeit under the surname 'Floggett' living at 46 St. John's, Sithney as Ellen, 'Katie' and 'Nellie'.

Catherine married three years later in 1894 and I have traced her descendants absolutely fine, whereas for her mother Ellen (and sister Mary Ellen for that matter) they just seem to disappear completely.

I would be hugely grateful if anyone found any records beyond the 1891 census for Ellen or had any new ideas as I feel I am at a real brick wall with it. Thank you in advance!
The Sloggetts of St. Teath/St. Minver; Sloggetts of Australia; Sloggetts of America; Winns of Mabe/Helston; Winns of America; Rowes of St. Blazey/Par; Angoves of Illogan; Tregarthens of the Scilly Isles; Billings of St. Breward; Martins of St. Gluvias; Haydons of Dartmouth; Brownsons of Stoke Fleming; Boyens of Poplar/West Ham/Surrey; Boyens of New Zealand; Boyens of Australia; Emblens of Hampshire/Sussex/London; Wrights of London; Greens of Preston; Hemphills and McKerrachers of Scotland.

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen SLOGGETT (née ANGOVE) b. 1849 death record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else would have any more luck trying to find the death record or what ultimately became of Ellen ANGOVE, dau. of Abel ANGOVE and Catherine ALLEN b. Q'2 1849, Illogan.

Ellen married William Billing SLOGGETT 13 November 1875, Redruth. William and Ellen had three daughters
- Catherine, b. 29 December 1875, Illogan
- Mary Ellen, b. 22 February 1878, Camborne
- Priscilla (Jane) b. 24 April 1880

William died just a week or so after Priscilla was born on 2 May 1880 at Camborne, and Ellen can be found as a pauper and widow in the 1881 with all three daughters as 'Katie', 'Mary' and 'Jane' at 83 North Road, Camborne. Her daughter Priscilla d. Q'3 1881, Redruth. Catherine and Mary Ellen survived however, and they can be found in the 1891 census, albeit under the surname 'Floggett' living at 46 St. John's, Sithney as Ellen, 'Katie' and 'Nellie'.

Catherine married three years later in 1894 and I have traced her descendants absolutely fine, whereas for her mother Ellen (and sister Mary Ellen for that matter) they just seem to disappear completely.

I would be hugely grateful if anyone found any records beyond the 1891 census for Ellen or had any new ideas as I feel I am at a real brick wall with it. Thank you in advance!

** P.S. the death record for an Ellen SLOGGETT Q'4 1923 St. Columb is not this Ellen, but rather the 3rd cousin of her husband William Billing, b. 29 December 1850 at Padstow to Moses SLOGGETT and Sarah CARTER, and who was an authoress.
The Sloggetts of St. Teath/St. Minver; Sloggetts of Australia; Sloggetts of America; Winns of Mabe/Helston; Winns of America; Rowes of St. Blazey/Par; Angoves of Illogan; Tregarthens of the Scilly Isles; Billings of St. Breward; Martins of St. Gluvias; Haydons of Dartmouth; Brownsons of Stoke Fleming; Boyens of Poplar/West Ham/Surrey; Boyens of New Zealand; Boyens of Australia; Emblens of Hampshire/Sussex/London; Wrights of London; Greens of Preston; Hemphills and McKerrachers of Scotland.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 22:16 BST (UK) »
possible marriage for Mary Ellen as Nellie Sloggett march qtr 1910 Helston vol 5c pg 333 to either Abraham James Paul or William James Rogers

1911 census for Nellie Paull born Camborne but the age is a little out   :-\
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7LY-F6L

By the way, on the 1891 census the 46 is number of the census schedule. My gggrandparents are just a few houses away - schedule 42.

;)

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 22:57 BST (UK) »
possible marriage for Mary Ellen as Nellie Sloggett march qtr 1910 Helston vol 5c pg 333 to either Abraham James Paul or William James Rogers

1911 census for Nellie Paull born Camborne but the age is a little out   :-\
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7LY-F6L

By the way, on the 1891 census the 46 is number of the census schedule. My gggrandparents are just a few houses away - schedule 42.

;)

This is a fascinating lead, thank you so much! I think it's certainly a strong possibility, indeed though she was born 'Mary Ellen' she is found as 'Nellie' in the 1881 and 1891 censuses, and seems to have ultimately gone by this. Her sister Catherine's third daughter (and fifth child) b. 29 August 1899 St. John's Sithney was called Nellie and I had thought she had named her after her presumably deceased sister, though she could have been named her after her aunt who was still living too.

The birth year is a bit out on the 1911 census as you say but the ages are notoriously off with everyone in this family across the censuses, and such an issue seems to have been quite common so that doesn't bother me too much, especially because the birthplace as Camborne is exactly right, and I can't find the birth of a 'Nellie' Sloggett that it could be - so I really think that is her!

I've done some more digging, and husband Abraham James Paul seems to have emigrated to California in 1910, which could explain why she is married but a lodger in someone else's house in 1911? Indeed he seems to have married another Mary (Samide) who was born in Austria (?!)  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-8981-WSMC?i=260&cc=2185173&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQG1X-G8X3,

and they had a son Louis Samide b. 26 July 1913, Arizona.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9T3-Y3LM-7?cc=2125028&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQGG3-8CJ9

I know this America part sounds crazy but I am sure it is him as the naturalisation record shows this Abraham James Paul was born 7 January 1885 in Penzance, which obviously matches the one on FreeBMD born Q'1 1885 Penzance exactly. So seemingly Abraham was a bigamist! Poor Nellie, frustratingly I can't seem to find her on the 1921 census, but there is a Nellie Paul who died Q'3 1954, Kerrier age 73 which again is quite close to her birth year though not quite.

This is all very intrgiuing for me, especially because I have several copies of an old group family photo of her sister Catherine with her husband and several of her children, but there is another adult woman in the photo who you can see has a wedding ring on and who cannot have been any of her daughters as Catherine d. 1914 by which point none of her daughters had married nor could have been old enough to be this woman who is clearly an adult and not a teenager. Catherine's husband had several sisters and I have always assumed the woman is one of them, but maybe it's Nellie!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 22 20:51 BST (UK) »
I'd spotted some US records for Abraham James Paul but didn't have time last night to read the detail so hadn't realised there was another wife!

baptism showing date of birth
https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=4549169

more naturalization paperwork from 1919
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGG3-XNVD

WW2 record for him
https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=emigrants&id=721481

The Nellie who died 19 Sept 1954 was a widow and lived at Gwealhellis, Helston. Administration of her estate was granted to May Winn, spinster.

Possible for Nellie on the 1921 census living with a George Wenn.
Birth reg George Winn jun qtr 1907 Helson mmn Sloggett
1911 census for George - the son of your Catherine
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7LY-WH3
and May who administered the estate is another of the children.

Think we can be pretty certain it is your Mary Ellen despite her claiming to be 31 in 1921 and giving her date of birth as 2 April 1894 on the 1939 register!

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 22 23:51 BST (UK) »
I'd spotted some US records for Abraham James Paul but didn't have time last night to read the detail so hadn't realised there was another wife!

https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=4549169

WW2 record for him
https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=emigrants&id=721481

The Nellie who died 19 Sept 1954 was a widow and lived at Gwealhellis, Helston. Administration of her estate was granted to May Winn, spinster.

Think we can be pretty certain it is your Mary Ellen despite her claiming to be 31 in 1921 and giving her date of birth as 2 April 1894 on the 1939 register!

Thank you ever so much again for your research! This is a huge breakthrough for me, as May Winn/that generation of Winns are very close ancestors of mine (g-grandfather and great g-uncles/aunts), and there used to be a painting of Gwealhellis up on the wall in my nan's house as it was the family home of the Winns for nearly 100 years, and this unlocks a whole new part of the story which I am so excited about. I really do think now that adult woman in the family photo is Nellie after her husband fled abroad now living with Catherine and her family.

Thank you so much for finding the precise details for Nellie's death which confirm absolutely that it is indeed Nellie. I'm so delighted because as you have seen she and Catherine had had such a difficult start in life, and I had thought only Catherine had made it beyond childhood, and even she tragically died at just 38 from a tumour, so it is lovely to see that two of the three daughters made it to adulthood and that Nellie was supported by family after her husband left (!). Their mother Ellen is still a mystery, but what you've found about Nellie is more than I thought would ever be found and I am so grateful.

You finding Nellie in the 1921 census is great for another reason too, as Catherine and William John Winn's children (and William John himself, Catherine already deceased by that point) I seem unable to find anywhere on the 1921 census, but now at least one has been pinned down, George, living with Nellie.

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 22 00:08 BST (UK) »

WW2 record for him

Thank you ever so much again for your research! This is a huge breakthrough for me, as May Winn/that generation of Winns are very close ancestors of mine (g-grandfather and great g-uncles/aunts), and there used to be a painting of Gwealhellis up on the wall in my nan's house as it was the family home of the Winns for nearly 100 years, and this unlocks a whole new part of the story which I am so excited about. I really do think now that adult woman in the family photo is Nellie after her husband fled abroad now living with Catherine and her family.

Thank you so much for finding the precise details for Nellie's death which confirm absolutely that it is indeed Nellie. I'm so delighted because as you have seen she and Catherine had had such a difficult start in life, and I had thought only Catherine had made it beyond childhood, and even she tragically died at just 38 from a tumour, so it is lovely to see that two of the three daughters made it to adulthood and that Nellie was supported by family after her husband left (!). Their mother Ellen is still a mystery, but what you've found about Nellie is more than I thought would ever be found and I am so grateful.

You finding Nellie in the 1921 census is great for another reason too, as Catherine and William John Winn's children (and William John himself, Catherine already deceased by that point) I seem unable to find anywhere on the 1921 census, but now at least one has been pinned down, George, living with Nellie.

Have bought the 1921 census with Nellie and nephew George on it, where curiously it is written for George that both his parents were still alive, which they most certainly weren't...

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 22 07:24 BST (UK) »

WW2 record for him

Have bought the 1921 census with Nellie and nephew George on it, where curiously it is written for George that both his parents were still alive, which they most certainly weren't...

I realise there is another link of sorts between the Pauls and the Sloggetts/Winns, as Nellie's nephew Arthur (George's brother) fought and died in WWI (1895 - 1917), as did Nellie's husband Abraham's brother William Paul (1888 - 1917). There is an article on Cornwall Live that features them both + a photo of each of them, as well as a letter William wrote back to his family read out by his great-nephew.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/history/listen-poignant-last-letter-home-2110399

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 22 16:04 BST (UK) »
I can see some of the Winn family in 1921 under the surname Wenn - William J, Mary, Joseph Renny and Dorothy Mary are in one household.

Clara looks to be in Cury, in a household featuring Williams & Steward surnames.

;)