Author Topic: Finding the Grave of Thomas McGee  (Read 781 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the Grave of Thomas McGee
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 June 22 10:02 BST (UK) »
My wife's family has strong Glasgow connections, so I've been looking through the online records that Greenrig highlighted.

Although the records are extensive, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that they must all just have placed folk under the floorboards, as I can't find any of them - even when there is a cemetery virtually on their doorstep!

If only they were indexed  ;D

The cemetery records previously held by Glasgow City Council have been digitised and are held at the Archive Centre at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow (these are far more extensive than those currently available online). Unfortunately these records have not been made available to the public but you can pay for staff to carry out a search on your behalf (these services are only just restarting due to the pandemic closures).

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 June 22 10:29 BST (UK) »
I agree with ROCKFORD about the FamilySearch records.  You have to scroll through pages of difficult handwriting, starting from the date of death - for, say, 10 days.  Even then, you may miss the entry . Or you may be looking in the wrong cemetery.   However, I've found it a useful resource and have found several family burials and lair records in this way.

As stated, there is a managed search by Council.  But personally, I prefer to look myself as I have more confidence in my searching, than theirs.  It also feels more like "real" research :-)  Maybe we need to do both.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline wickedwenchdee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 June 22 14:50 BST (UK) »
I want to thank you all for your replies to my post. Unfortunately Covid has finally found me and I'm really not up to doing much apart from sleeping at the moment. As soon as I'm up on my feet again I'll read your replies properly and start searching again. Once again, Thank you all.

xxx