Author Topic: William Jones/ Henry Jones/ Mary Ann Shepard HAILSHAM  (Read 1056 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Jones/ Henry Jones/ Mary Ann Shepard HAILSHAM
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 May 22 10:00 BST (UK) »

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 May 22 10:06 BST (UK) »
Marriages Sep 1910   (>99%)

Cross    Sarah A        Lambeth    1d   804   
Skarin    Andrew        Lambeth    1d   804

1. a Different SKARIN?  or
2. bigamous marriage?

Anders the father at baptism of one of the Chard births is a tailor
Anders/Andrew m to Sarah is a tailor.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 May 22 10:20 BST (UK) »
Western Chronicle 06 September 1912

Part of an article about someone else

Mrs Emily Skarin, manageress of the Cross Keys Lodging house, Park Street, said prisoner had been staying there lately….

Western Chronicle 07 December 1917

Alleged Wilful Damage - Case Dismissed

Wm Jones,  of Yeovil, was summoned by Caroline Perry, married woman of Yeovil, for committing wilful damage to her personal property, to the value of 10s, on Nov 28th.
Prosecutrix, who lives at 4, Addlewell Lane, stated that on the day in question defendant came into her house after his ‘missus’ and knocked her down. Witness took the woman’s part and had her put to bed. She told defendant to leave the house, and he replied that he would clear the _____ house. Defendant thereupon swept a lighted lamp, glasses, cups and saucers and plates off the table, doing damage to the extent of 10s. The lamp set fire to a table cloth.

Andrew Hannam, of 83 Park-Street a discharged soldier, corroborated. Defendant on oath stated that when he came home at 5.30 on Wednesday evening he found the fire out and nothing to eat. His wife was not in and he went round to various public houses to try and find her. At 7.30 he found her in prosecutrix’s house with two or three men and three or four women. He went in and Hannam came for him and in the struggle the things got broken.  He offered to pay the damage, and he thought he received provocation for what he did.

Emily Skarin, living with defendant at 1, Addlewell Lane, said that on Wednesday afternoon she went out with the proscecutrix. She knew she was not doing right and she ought to have been home getting Jones’ supper. Jones came into Mrs Perry’s house and witness ran away from him. She did not see the damage committed.

Defendant in reply to the Bench, said the damage was committed accidentally.
The bench dismissed the case

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 May 22 10:25 BST (UK) »
Western Times 11 September 1906

Mary Emily Skarin of Winsham, summoned Sidney Coombs of Thorncombe, in respect of the maintenance of her child. On the application of the defendant, who said he wanted to bring witnesses, the case was adjourned to the next court.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 May 22 10:32 BST (UK) »
Emily in 1901 census

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:XS88-5ZD

John

Added as per 1901 census

Marie/a Annetta Skarin baptised 10th May 1898 Furnham, Somerset, parents Andrew/Emily
Abode Chard Union Workhouse.

Offline Celinee14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 May 22 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, wow thank you for so many responses, I’m not sure I understand them all from a first look but I will have to read through again!
Ivy was my great grandmother, the information I have had from my grandad (from what he can remember) is that he was told both her parents died young, she went to live with her aunt Ellen (Nellie) Jones (1895-1970) and Bertram Hilder who had children called Dorothy and Kenneth. This led me to the information on ancestry around Ellen’s siblings, the only one which died soon after my Nan was born was William Jones, this information was confirmed when I found Ivy’s marriage license to William Packham which listed Ivy’s father as William Jones.
It is most likely my family tree on ancestry that someone else has commented on.
Can someone explain to me the links found with the Skarin family?

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 May 22 12:32 BST (UK) »
Celinee14,

Hi, a lot to take in, but start with the birth of Ivy Alma Faith Skarin. Her birth mother is Mary Emily James born 1874 Bridport in Dorset. She married Anders/Andrew Skarin in 1895. They had at least 3 children pre 1901 census. By 1911 Mary Emily Skirtin nee' James had what appears to be "out of wedlock relationships with a couple of gentlemen". One is probably a William Jones who appears on the 1911 census with her as a boarder.

With regard to the various links posted they are for a site as below

https://www.familysearch.org/search/

It is free to join but you will need to register first. Any other issues/problems just ask and anyone of a number of rootschatters will be able to help.

John

Offline Celinee14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 May 22 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thats fascinating, thanks for helping link this together! So after Mary Emily's death in 1918, Ivy must have left Dorset area and come back to Sussex with her father William, to be raised by his sister Nellie when he passed in 1922.
Is there any way to find more information around how they both passed? Ivy was of the understanding that they both died of Spanish Flu.
If I was to order the birth certificate for Ivy A F Skarin would this have William Jones listed as the father or is that not guaranteed?

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 May 22 13:13 BST (UK) »
The 2 death certificates, Mary Emily 1917 and William Jones 1922 may show what they died of. With regard to Ivy Alma, her father may be recorded on her marriage certificate. Ivy I suspect was the daughter of William Jones and Mary Emily who probably never married as she was previously married to Anders. He seems as shown to have remarried in 1910 bigamously.

With regard to Anders, I believe he had a brother called Aaron born c 1858 in Sweden. He married twice in the UK and one image records he is a Tailor with his father being named as Anders also a Tailor.

John

Sorry, misread your last post. Ivy's birth cert may show who her father is, but I suspect that Mary was misleading with the registration using the Skarin surname with mothers maiden name James to cover up.