Author Topic: where is this?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: where is this?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 May 22 12:25 BST (UK) »
Here's the number plate of the Citroen enlarged a bit.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 May 22 13:19 BST (UK) »
Is there any chance of scanning it at 600 dpi or more, Maddy:  However, if they're not on the original neg,  they won't show.

I tried to play around with the sign and the number plate a while ago  to get some clarity but they're  just too pixelated to see.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 May 22 13:55 BST (UK) »
My two penn'th:  :D

I could be wrong, but I think I can see the steering wheel on the left side of the Citroen. Not that that helps much, I know.

The other car could theoretically be something like an Opel Rekord from the 50s. They also had that kind of back end.

The "writing" on the wall looks very much like coat hooks to my eyes.

I don't know if it is just me, but it looks as though the inner wall (with the windows in) goes away from the outer wall (with flower boxes), if you see what I mean. As though the space between them is triangular. But maybe it is just my eyes...  ::)

Trying to make sense of the number plate on the Citroen, but it just pixelates. I don't think the layout is right for an older German plate, if that helps at all.

Edit:

It's a shame we can't see the front of the 2CV: Apparently the badge was altered in 1954.

BUT...I have just read that the 2CV was given blinkers, on the sides behind the doors, in 1955. I think I can see the blob that would be the blinker on the right side, which means the picture must have been taken after 1955. If that helps... :)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 May 22 13:58 BST (UK) »
it looks like MC to me on the car reg'.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 May 22 14:04 BST (UK) »
it looks like MC to me on the car reg'.

I thought that, too. I wondered it it was Monaco, but I can't find anything on old Monaco car plates at the mo.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 May 22 15:58 BST (UK) »
I think the fins on the white car are too small for a Ford Zephyr/Zodiac. I'm not sure about an Opel Rekord, as the ones I found pictures of seemed to have the wrong rear lights and/or smaller fins than these.

My feeling is that it's a Peugeot 404; these were produced from 1960 to 1975, so that puts the date a bit later than Maddy originally suggested. (The Fords with big fins weren't produced until 1962.) Here's a page with a selection of photos:

https://www.gallery-aaldering.com/peugeot-404-1967/

So, if I'm right, with a Peugeot and a Citroën, might this be in France?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 May 22 18:16 BST (UK) »
My two penn'th:  :D

I could be wrong, but I think I can see the steering wheel on the left side of the Citroen. Not that that helps much, I know.

I would agree with that - the inside right front of the 2CV looks empty to me.

The style of building could also be in the (French) Basque country but I can't locate it specifically. However there are no shutters, which is odd for France.

Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 May 22 20:04 BST (UK) »
This page has links to others with information about each country's registration plates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Europe

However, despite looking fairly extensively (France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Monaco, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands*, Spain, Portugal) I couldn't see any in continental Europe that would match a plate with a black background and ending with letters rather than numbers.

[*EDIT: further thoughts on Netherlands in reply #23 below]

However, this would have been possible in the UK. One site I found seemed to say that a plate ending with the two letters MC would have been issued in London or Middlesex from January 1961 (https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/reg-letters.htm); I'd hoped to find a second site to corroborate this, but didn't.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 May 22 20:07 BST (UK) »
However, this would have been possible in the UK. One site I found seemed to say that a plate ending with the two letters MC would have been issued in London or Middlesex from January 1961 (https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/reg-letters.htm); I'd hoped to find a second site to corroborate this, but didn't.

Her dress looks like late 1950s - early 60s, so that might fit, Arthur.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***