Author Topic: Looking for Information on McFadion/McFadden? and Kelly families  (Read 639 times)

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Information on McFadion/McFadden? and Kelly families
« on: Friday 27 May 22 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, hoping somebody could kindly help as i’ve been at a dead end for a while now

My 4th Great Grandmother Bridget McFadion or McFadden? was born around 1825 to a Michael McFadion and Ciara Gatrina? who were both born before 1798
My 4th Great Grandfather Charles Kelly was also born around 1825 to a Peter Kelly and Catherine (Catharina?) Glancy who were both born around 1788 and married 1810 in Dublin.

Bridget and Charles married 1843 possibly in Leitrim? and at some point moved to Midlothian in Scotland with their 9? children.

I can’t seem to find any information on their ancestors or whatever happened to any of them that can be confirmed. I’d be grateful for any information at all or tips on where else to look. Apologies if any of this isn’t much use!

Thank you

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Information on McFadion/McFadden? and Kelly families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 22 17:10 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
Irish Genealogy Toolkit is an introduction to Irish family history research.
http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/

What are the sources for information about parents of Bridget and Charles?
Do you know Bridget's county of birth?
Why do you think Bridget and Charles may have married in Leitrim?
Were all children of Bridget & Charles born in Ireland? Have you followed every one of them through their lives to see what information was given about their origins? Which Scottish censuses have you found the family on?
Which religious denomination did they belong to? The only records which may have been made would have been church registers. Whether any exist and where they are deposited depends on religious denomination, place and time period.
What was Charles' occupation? 

Cowban

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 22 19:15 BST (UK) »
I’m mostly using Ancestry (as well as other sites to confirm birth dates etc). Not entirely sure i have the correct parents for Bridget and Charles though can’t find any other records that align with their birth dates and places despite using different name variations. Bridget’s birth county I'm only assuming is Leitrim based on the one 1861 census I could find for the family. Six of the children seemed to be born in Leitrim going off the census so again unsure, following their paths is difficult with the so little info but will definitely search again to make sure i’m not missing something. This side of the family, I believe they were Roman catholics. Occupation for Charles is written down as Labourer. This may not be any helpful but i appreciate you taking the time to respond so thank you

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 13:19 BST (UK) »
I’m mostly using Ancestry (as well as other sites to confirm birth dates etc). Not entirely sure i have the correct parents for Bridget and Charles though can’t find any other records that align with their birth dates and places despite using different name variations.

Registration of births and deaths began in 1864 in Ireland. Registration of non-Catholic marriage began 1845 and Catholic marriages 1864.
Irish Genealogy.ie
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Website also contains transcriptions and indexes of parish registers in some dioceses. See "Current list of available parishes".

Before the start of civil registration, you're reliant on church registers which may not exist for the parishes and timeframes you need.
Catholic Registers at the National Library of Ireland
http://registers.nli.ie
Use "Search the map" on the Home page. Map shows outlines of counties. Select Leitrim then enlarge to show parishes. Selecting each parish in County Leitrim and clicking on the name shows a list of registers with dates + links for more information. That will give you an overview of which registers exist for Co. Leitrim for the period. Home page for each parish has a small map in top corner. Selecting & clicking on a parish brings up home page for that parish with list of registers. Parishes in Co. Leitrim belong to 2 R.C. dioceses, Kilmore and Ardagh. Some parishes may cross county borders, e.g. one is partly in Sligo. 

SWilson.info
http://www.swilson.info
This is a useful website for identifying places, registration districts, civil and ecclesiastical  parishes, townlands &c.

Irish Ancestors Wizard
https://www.johngrenham.com/wizard/
Another website worth exploring. Section on surnames shows distribution. List of surname variants. 
Cowban

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 20:35 BST (UK) »
Finally have the time to look at the website links properly lol, this is all really helpful though thank you so much !

(: