Author Topic: Charles Henry ROWE - Mercantile Mariner  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Henry ROWE - Mercantile Mariner
« on: Sunday 29 May 22 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew any resources / ways of researching further into the history of my 2x g-grandfather Charles Henry ROWE b. 1860, Truro, d. 27 March 1933, Par, who on his first marriage certificate he is stated a Seaman RN https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-QV3B-C?i=244&cc=1804330&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AKCS3-VX3

On his second marriage certificate he is stated a Sailor in Merchant Service, and on the birth certificate of the four children from his second marriage all state him as having been a 'mercantile mariner'. His last son Gordon was also baptised shortly before death and Charles is stated here as 'mariner'.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DTJ7-H22?i=87&wc=3CBW-PTR%3A138123201%2C140191901%2C140191902&cc=1769414

So far the only specifically occupation-based record I have is him in the Royal Navy ratings' service records as 118187, though this strangely has him away at sea (on the Royal Adelaide Express 1 May 1885 to 21 June 1886) at the time he married his first wife Mary Ellen Rogers Williams (29 July 1885) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-QV3B-C?i=244&cc=1804330&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AKCS3-VX3 .

I would be very grateful for any further pointers / suggestions to find out any more, if possible. Thank you.
The Sloggetts of St. Teath/St. Minver; Sloggetts of Australia; Sloggetts of America; Winns of Mabe/Helston; Winns of America; Rowes of St. Blazey/Par; Angoves of Illogan; Tregarthens of the Scilly Isles; Billings of St. Breward; Martins of St. Gluvias; Haydons of Dartmouth; Brownsons of Stoke Fleming; Boyens of Poplar/West Ham/Surrey; Boyens of New Zealand; Boyens of Australia; Emblens of Hampshire/Sussex/London; Wrights of London; Greens of Preston; Hemphills and McKerrachers of Scotland.

Offline AnnieBard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Henry ROWE - Mercantile Mariner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 22 14:19 BST (UK) »
With regard to his 1885 marriage the Royal Adelaide was commissioned for harbour service in Devonport in 1862, operated as a flagship there through the 1870s, and seemingly remained in Devonport until 1891 when she was towed round to Chatham to be fitted out as a training ship. One source suggests she was hulked in 1869 and if essential rigging was removed that explains the tow in 1891.
I hope that helps a little bit.
Somerset and Wiltshire: Rodgers, Wilkins, Maundrill, Tucker, Adlam, Carey, Butcher, Fleetwood AND Scotland: Rodgers

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 22 16:11 BST (UK) »
National Archives have helpful information. Registers of Seamen, Registers of Shipping etc.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seamen-serving-since-1918/

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 09:14 BST (UK) »
With regard to his 1885 marriage the Royal Adelaide was commissioned for harbour service in Devonport in 1862, operated as a flagship there through the 1870s, and seemingly remained in Devonport until 1891 when she was towed round to Chatham to be fitted out as a training ship. One source suggests she was hulked in 1869 and if essential rigging was removed that explains the tow in 1891.
I hope that helps a little bit.

That is great to know as it confirms the Navy Record I have for him is definitely him! Thank you very much :)
The Sloggetts of St. Teath/St. Minver; Sloggetts of Australia; Sloggetts of America; Winns of Mabe/Helston; Winns of America; Rowes of St. Blazey/Par; Angoves of Illogan; Tregarthens of the Scilly Isles; Billings of St. Breward; Martins of St. Gluvias; Haydons of Dartmouth; Brownsons of Stoke Fleming; Boyens of Poplar/West Ham/Surrey; Boyens of New Zealand; Boyens of Australia; Emblens of Hampshire/Sussex/London; Wrights of London; Greens of Preston; Hemphills and McKerrachers of Scotland.