Author Topic: Marriage lookup please - Otsego, New York  (Read 1148 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup please - Otsego, New York
« on: Sunday 29 May 22 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone would be able to find the following marriage for me please?

Samuel Sturt from England to Sabra Eliza Ploss

Samuel was last seen in England in 1854.  They appear on the 1860 census in Otsego and have two children age 2 and 4 months so it would appear they married between 1854 and 1858ish.

I would be really grateful, thank you.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup please - Otsego, New York
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 22 13:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I don't think a record will be available. According to the info in the link below records were apparently not kept between about 1850 and 1880.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/How_to_Find_New_York_Marriage_Records

PB

Edit: forgot to add that there might be church or other records as noted lower in the link. The familysearch website might have something.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 22 14:57 BST (UK) »
Oh bother!  Always the way, I thought that might sort out a little puzzle.  I shall havve to think again.  Thank you for looking anyway.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 22 15:00 BST (UK) »
Actually, now having seen your note, I think I will look for the baptisms for the two children that might give a clue.

Kerry

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 22 20:17 BST (UK) »
I tried a brief search for the couple in 1855 (New York census) but did not find either person.  Have you tried looking for either one in 1855?   I will try searching again later.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 May 22 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Thank you for searching.  No I haven't searched for the 1855.  If it helps on the 1860  Sabra is 31 years old and born in New York.  She is always with her mother, Caroline Ploss, sometimes Plass, age 71 in 1860 and she was born in what looks like it might be Conneticut. 

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 May 22 10:08 BST (UK) »
That didn't help at all, I found Caroline on the 1855 with another daughter and her husband Edward Stockley.  Still in Otsego though.

Kerry

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 May 22 17:24 BST (UK) »
I don’t know if you have seen this from the familysearch folks? Quite extensive but suggests baptisms might be available through their website. No guarantee you will find yours but you never know. Also suggests marriage record substitutes.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Otsego_County,_New_York_Genealogy#Church_Records

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 May 22 20:36 BST (UK) »
I looked (once) through 49 pages of the/an 1855 Cherry Valley census, searching every page for Sturt and watching for every variation of Ploss.  Of course, I could have missed their names as a few of the pages were not the easiest to read, but I didn’t see them.

Is there a chance that Sabra was living elsewhere with family in 1855, possibly with an elderly aunt or grandmother?  Perhaps she was living in a bigger town and met Samuel elsewhere?

Could Sabra have been living with her mother’s relative in Connecticut in 1855.  Might that be where she met and married Samuel before returning to Otsego.

Do you know the religion of their children (when they grew up) which could narrow down where to search for the couple’s marriage document.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)