Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 5th June  (Read 2045 times)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 5th June
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 June 22 09:18 BST (UK) »
Jubilee week and today being 2 June, there will be a few royalist kiwis participating in the parade and UK celebrations for sure and the rest of us in NZ get our Queen's Birthday holiday this coming weekend. As we've made three trips away north over the past month and several day outings, likely we'll stay off roads as much as possible. A 21 gun salute in Wellington today and lighting a beacon this evening to start off the 4 days, contingent of NZ Defence Force personnel preparing for their part in the pageant in UK.

Cucumbers were a bit pricey when I shopped today but on my list for the dainty sandwiches, just a wee token effort on my part for the day. Can imagine 70 years readily enough but to commit those years to service quite incredible really, great respect. The only monarch so many will have known in their own lifetime and having been served by 14 prime ministers in her reign.

Our PM met with USA president this week before making way back home to NZ .

Enjoy your week, however you choose to spend it, wishing all well ….

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 June 22 09:34 BST (UK) »
Good to hear that the jubilee is being celebrated in NZ.

My neighbours have lots of flags decorating the front of their house and flags and bunting across the back garden. My red and white bedding plants are blooming nicely but unfortunately the blue ones have still not managed to catch up. Was a beautiful day yesterday despite the forecast of showers.

Hope the weather warms up for you TY and an improvement in energy levels.

Oh dear Caroline, hope your daughter and family have managed to get away. There still seems to be a lot of chaos at the airports, particularly Gatwick and Manchester. So awful for people when they've looked forward to their holidays for so long.

Enjoy the celebrations everyone, whatever you're doing.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 June 22 18:00 BST (UK) »
Love your avatar Roobarb!! Very apt..

Hope everyone is able to enjoy the Jubilee in some form or another.. whether in UK or elsewhere… always interesting to hear what other commonwealth countries do to celebrate… or not!

We have our barn dance and hog roast this evening… the weather is dry and warm and sunny at the moment. 🤞it will stay so…
Our only issue currently is that one of the local farmers decided last night to spread JC, on his fields and the whole village is now permeated with that delightful ‘pong’… France reserving for this weekend! I know we live in the country but really…
I’ve made the Jubilee Lemon Swiss roll and amaretti trifle… looks wonderful… weighs a to. 😂😂. Hope I get a chance to taste it!picture of finished item…

Thanks my daughter and family managed to sail through Gatwick with no problems at all on Tuesday .. their flight was about 15 mins late departing… think they were lucky.. flight booked separately from the villa so maybe that helped! Anyway had daily updates… not jealous of sunshine and clear skies and swimming pool..😤😤… had guided tour by youngest grandson telling us all the tropical plants in the garden… probably primed by mum or dad!

Best wishes to everyone over this weekend..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 June 22 20:18 BST (UK) »
Well done Caroline that looks wonderful.
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 June 22 20:34 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear the family got away okay Caroline. Hope you enjoy the hog roast and I'm sure your trifle will be well appreciated.

I watched a bit of the Trooping of the Colour on TV this morning and just managed to catch the fly past, absolutely magnificent. It was lovely to see the thousands of people thronging the Mall to show their appreciation of our queen.  :)

And little Prince Louis absolutely stole the show.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 June 22 17:53 BST (UK) »
Did anyone else around this neck of the woods (Radstock) notice our own"fly past" yesterday evening? Around 5.30ish we were out in the garden and heard the sound of aero engines and wondered where the helicopter was bound for this time. But no! Appearing over the horizon a Lancaster and two single engined fighters- couln't see if they were Spitfires or Hurricanes, as they swept across , almost overhead.
Wow! ;)
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 June 22 10:25 BST (UK) »
Definitely a wow for you Jeff and greater if you weren't expecting it. Warbirds had a display near home here on Sunday, weather a bit of an issue but managed to fit in most of the program OK.

Jubilee Trifle would have gone down a treat, well done Caroline, sure does look wonderful.
The Party at the Palace broadcast was screened live in NZ Sunday morning starting with that lovely segment of tea with Paddington Bear and the Queen at 7am, I had set it up to record and was already without interruptions of advertising, played/ watched most of it a bit delayed in fits and starts as we went about our day. Snippets of rest of celebrations on news etc but seems the biggest hits were that clip oft repeated along with those many zooms showing antics of the youngest prince :-)

Decided to light the fire at the weekend and for the first time this year, seeing as we were mostly at home doing indoor things and to take any chill off and make the place more cosy for our visitors, stacks of wood at the ready as we often don't bother unless temps drop a lot and they haven't yet so far.

Now another weekend already almost here …

( think I've managed to get threads back in weekly order by posting again for last week  :D )