Author Topic: Thoughts on if James Ashton Pearson was real.  (Read 908 times)

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
Thoughts on if James Ashton Pearson was real.
« on: Monday 30 May 22 17:35 BST (UK) »
My 4th gr grandad was a George Ashton Pearson, he was born around 1823 in Bolton, his mothers name is Hannah ( she is on his gravestone).

Im having troubles with his dad, on his marriage its stated his father is a James Ashton Pearson, on burial records its written as " George son of James Ashton Pearson"

George has a sister names Margaret Ashton Pearson born in 1826, again on her marriages, father James Ashton Pearson.

But on the births they both have Hannah or Anna Pearson....SPINSTER!!

There is no James in the grave, no marriage between a James and a Hannah/Ann and i cant find a birth of a James Ashton Pearson, Hannah was born around 1793 so ive been going off the similar age and the marriages of the children in 1846 and 1848 he was not deceased.

Would they go so far to hide being illegitimate, by both naming this man on their wedding record and then also when his son died at age 43 James also being mentioned even though George was an adult,married with kids.

Hannah died in 1857 and her death certificate states "Widow of James Pearson a cotton spinner"

I have found Hannah/Ann on the 1841 census with the kids.

What can i do next to dig a bit deeper?
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on if James Ashton Pearson was real.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 22 17:49 BST (UK) »
If Hannah wasn't married to her children's father, and chose to give them both the name 'Ashton', there's a fair chance that he was a Mr Ashton.  Quite possibly James Ashton.  Have you looked for records of such a man in the neighbourhood at around the relevant time?  What do the marriage records suggest is his occupation?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 22 18:03 BST (UK) »
If Hannah wasn't married to her children's father, and chose to give them both the name 'Ashton', there's a fair chance that he was a Mr Ashton.  Quite possibly James Ashton.  Have you looked for records of such a man in the neighbourhood at around the relevant time?  What do the marriage records suggest is his occupation?

Thanks for your reply :)

Georges marriage records show " James Ashton Pearson - Spinner"

Margarets show " James Pearson - Spinner"

i will have a look at Ashtons again (i may have had a brief look a while back), so could it be possible on paper they added the Pearson for him when he was infact an Ashton.
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 22 19:22 BST (UK) »
When George was baptised in 1823 in Bolton only his mother Ann is recorded.
When Margaret was baptised in 1826 in Bolton only her mother Hannah is recorded.

Suspect a Mr Ashton may have been the father but never married Ann/Hannah.

John

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 22 21:16 BST (UK) »
I have something similar with the surnames plus - to hide the fact that a child was born outside of wedlock two years were taken off the child's age and all census showed she was two years younger than she actually was.   When I found the child's birth, the vicar had made a note against the baptism "couple have promised to wed within the year".  The child had two surnames. the middle one was father's and the actual surname was the spinster mother's.   The couple married two years later and the child's surnames were switched so that the middle surname became the official surname.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 11:46 BST (UK) »
I have something similar with the surnames plus - to hide the fact that a child was born outside of wedlock two years were taken off the child's age and all census showed she was two years younger than she actually was.   When I found the child's birth, the vicar had made a note against the baptism "couple have promised to wed within the year".  The child had two surnames. the middle one was father's and the actual surname was the spinster mother's.   The couple married two years later and the child's surnames were switched so that the middle surname became the official surname.

Well that is something to think about! Hannah died a Pearson and apparently a widow to a James Pearson, maybe they intended to be married but someone had a change of heart and she just carried on pretending her husband was this James.
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 11:50 BST (UK) »
When George was baptised in 1823 in Bolton only his mother Ann is recorded.
When Margaret was baptised in 1826 in Bolton only her mother Hannah is recorded.

Suspect a Mr Ashton may have been the father but never married Ann/Hannah.

John

Thank you, i am also suspecting this to be the case also, now to try and find a James Ashton before 1837 with no birth date or place of birth  :-\ its a good job ive got some spare time today haha
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 11:59 BST (UK) »
Also worth continuing to look for a James PEARSON  could be a cousin who was not free to marry

But agree the ASHTON. Name must come from somewhere
It may be worth looking for bastardy bonds or an affiliation order if she tried to get this man to pay for his children

They could also have been living as husband and wife but the vicar at baptism knew they were not married .

Good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 12:02 BST (UK) »
Who reported Hannah's  death and paid for gravestone ..?

The children may not have known that their father James was not .. PEARSON 

Have you found Hannah in 1851 ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson