Author Topic: WILLIAM FENTON  (Read 1397 times)

Offline KimCrawford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM FENTON
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 June 22 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Just found this, its a marriage certifiacte of a William Fenton not much on it.
Will put the rest of the probate papers up soon on my ancestry site. Been busy with grandchildren my youngest Mia turned 2 today having a party for her
Kim

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 June 22 06:22 BST (UK) »
Birth: 4492/1857 THOMPSON Mary F parents LACHLAN and EMMA at BATHURST

Her father lived to be around 106. He and Emma had 17 children. 😲

I had a read of as many of her sibling’s death notices that I could find hoping to see a mention of Mary, alas nothing.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 June 22 08:18 BST (UK) »
Children of William and Mary:

17097/1875 Elizabeth A ORANGE

7795/1877 William E BATHURST

11366/1879 John Henry CARCOAR

21665/1881 Hilda Mary RYLSTONE

25729/1884 Joseph A GULGONG

16225/1886 Agnes M BOURKE

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 June 22 08:48 BST (UK) »
An online tree has the parents of William of that marriage certificate as William Fenton and Jane Curry.

Jamjar

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 June 22 09:13 BST (UK) »
The marriage document you have at reply #9 is from the records at BDM, Sydney....the civil/state record of the marriage.

This couple was married at Trinity Church, Guyong, and church register recorded details given by the people present....bride/groom/minister and witnesses.

This church record was copied to the civil register, and was an incomplete transcription. The state clerk copying the details from the church record only copied some details, and left out a lot of information.

If you access the original, handwritten, records for Trinity Church, Guyong, 1874, it will have the details that, I am suggesting, were not copied to the civil register that is your 1998 document.

Contact a family history society in.....Bathurst?...Orange?.....they might have handled the BDM records for that church.

Or, try Church of England Archives -

http://www.sydneyanglicanarchives.com.au/home.html

and ask if they have the records, and what is the cost for a digital image of the original.

Offline KimCrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 June 22 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I put the marriage transcribt up as I am in 2 minds that he isn't my William.
Also I have put on my site on ancestry the rest of Samuel's Probate
Kim

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 June 22 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim, do take note of Winenhoe’s comment and suggestions about accessing the church record for full information, to confirm that this is your William.
However, I actually think that marriage transcript that you have posted is probably for the correct man. Usual residence is Gulong which is where his father died just a few weeks earlier, and his brother Christopher is a witness to the marriage. Also his first child is named Elizabeth, perhaps after his mother.

The tree on ancestry claiming that this William Fenton is the son of William and Jane Curry has a number of errors, and no documentation to support this claim, or to support other information which appears problematic. Don’t be put off or swayed by public trees on Ancestry where there is no supporting documentation.

This William Fenton died 8 Sept 1896 at the Sofala Hospital of pneumonia (8 days). The informant at his death was not a relative, but Henry Hinton –  recorded as both “Medical attendant” and “Secretary”. His death certificate is a mish-mash of part truths and complete  confusion - a good example of how easily incorrect information is recorded by someone who does not know the deceased.
•   William Fenton, age 53, occupation miner, born Blayney NSW.
•   Father’s name - William Fenton; mother’s maiden name Thompson
•   Married at Gooyong at age 22, spouse Mary Ann Thompson
•   Children of the marriage: Elizabeth Anne 22, William Edward 20, John Henry 18, Hilda Mary 16, all living.
•   Buried 9 Sep 1896, General Sofala, Church of England, Minister Henry Glasson, Witnesses Jas and Joseph Goodlet.

Added: newspaper notice re this death of Fenton in Sofala.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/63933936?searchTerm=Fenton%20AND%20Sofala
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 June 22 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wivenhoe is right, NSW BDM has ONLY a summary.

I have written about those "elusive blanks" in NSW BDM records  ON many threads over many years.  One now every long thread is part of RChats NSW resources.   It has reliable advice to help overcome those blanks.

The late Nick Vine-Hall (best professional genealogist in my option) technique with minor modifications has always worked for me

PLEASE consider it. .... the Official transcript has important info to assist. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline KimCrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I rang the Bathurst Dicesan yesterday and was talking to Louise, so I e-mailed Louise the transcribt of William Fenton marriage, I am hoping there is information in the church records.  Louise said she will let me know.
Kim