Author Topic: What's Margate Yacht Club been hiding?  (Read 687 times)

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What's Margate Yacht Club been hiding?
« on: Tuesday 31 May 22 12:14 BST (UK) »
Can anyone provide any information on the property or business hiding behind the sign of the Margate Yacht Club (est 1932) at 12-14 Fort Hill, Margate?

A local family historian got in touch with me after noticing an older sign becoming visible beneath the old Yacht Club sign.  The lettering appears to be on glass, with the letters R??AL being uncovered, along with the name Wales & Sons (which is where a potential family connection lies).

We initially thought this may be a public house named the Prince Royal, after the famous ship that set sail from a point just opposite in 1613.  However, we can find no record for such a public house within directories, lists of public-houses, nor on maps.  So perhaps it is something like Café Royal.

Unfortunately I don't have findmypast access to do an address search.  The building is located next to the Hoy Inn/Tavern/Hotel (at one point, more recently, the Benjamin Beale).  Before the Fort Hill road--name was extended, the Hoy was located on: Bankside or Bank Side (up to 1851), Marine Parade (1867), 4 Parade (1881), The Parade (1890) - and from maps, I could believe it's neighbour had an address on Paradise street (see  https://www.margatelocalhistory.co.uk/HotSpotViewer/z1852Hotspots.htm or https://www.margatelocalhistory.co.uk/HotSpotViewer/z1873Hotspots.htm ).  I found pictures at https://www.margatelocalhistory.co.uk/HotSpotViewer/OS_1907_Pics/Parade.html, but can't make out any business names.

My ancestor George Wales (1816-1854) and his son William R Wales (1836-1887) are associated with The Good Intent on Bath Road. There's no mention of other properties in William's will.  

Any information would be gratefully received.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What's Margate Yacht Club been hiding?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 14:37 BST (UK) »
Had a look through this, but couldn't find anything to match. Will keep looking ...

http://www.shelwin.com/e/thanet_research/pt_pubs.pdf

Had a look at census returns for the address, but came up with nothing. Was that part of Fort Hill previously known as something else?

Possibly the R??AL could be Regal, although Royal makes more sense.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 15:24 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is of any help.

Isle of Thanet Gazette and Thanet Times - Saturday 13 September 1879

"Lot 6. - THE TERRACE HOUSE, a compact and well built house, having frontage to Harbour-Street 15ft 4in, and to Terrace Passage 8ft 6in, is now let to Mr George Wales at the very moderate rental of £20 per annum."

I did try looking for a business for Wales and Sons, but didn't get anything in the Margate area. 
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 15:33 BST (UK) »
Joseph Wales was a Margate sign writer from 1912 at 2a Dane hill Margate.
Possibly the signwriter you were looking for
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 18:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking. 

I hadn't thought about sign writers signing their work, and had assumed the names referred to proprietors.

In either case it would be helpful to date the business. 

The Hoy Inn next door has a variety of addresses over time; Bankside, Parade and I wouldn't be surprised if the property next door was deemed the start of Paradise Street.

The photos and sign make the business feel tantalising close, but it is still elusive.