Author Topic: New CD - Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg, Machynlleth, 1928  (Read 4285 times)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
New CD - Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg, Machynlleth, 1928
« on: Monday 09 August 04 17:12 BST (UK) »
We have just added a new title to our range of CDs.

Union of Welsh Independents, Machynlleth, 1928. The majority of this book is written in Welsh. However, as it contains several lists of names it will also be of interest to those who cannot read Welsh. The contents are: Rhagair; Cyfarfod y Plant; Cyfarfod Heddwch; Cynhadledd yr Undeb (Bore Mawrth); Cynhadledd yr Undeb (Prynhawn Mawrth); Pregethau yr Undeb; Oedfa Wrth Fedd David Griffiths (Madagascar); Cynhadledd yr Undeb (Anerchiad y Cadeirydd); Y Cyfarfod Diwinyddol; Y Cyfarfodydd Cyhoeddus; Cyfarfodydd Pregethu; Rhestr o'r Tanysgrifwyr.

See our web site at http://www.localhistorycds.co.uk for full details.

Scanned images are presented as a set of "web pages" built up using basic HTML. They can, therefore, be used on any computer with a web browser installed. The HTML code has been tested using Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera and Mozilla on Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and XP; on Mac OS and using the Konqueror browser running under Linux.

Our old books and maps on CD are despatched in jewel cases within padded envelopes to avoid damage.

Every CD is checked for readability - on a different PC from that on which it was written - before being labelled and packaged.

Payment by PayPal welcomed (no surcharge). Shipping worldwide for a standard GBP 1 to anywhere.

Full details on our web site at http://www.localhistorycds.co.uk
Regards,
Graham

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: New CD - Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg, Machynlleth, 1928
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 04 23:40 BST (UK) »
Just in case any of you are wondering what on earth this book is...

Basically, the "Annibynwyr" are a denomination of Welsh chapel, more-or-less similar to the Methodist Church and still very prominant in Wales, filled with good Welsh singing, and  good sturdy solid sermons.

Annibunwyr means the "Indepenants" - in other words, not tied to a catholic or Church of England denomination - ie. protestant.

The book descibed is a book on the order of service, probably for the pastors of the area. My translation here (I stand to be corrected here) is:

Rhagair - Introduction
Cyfarfod y Plant - The Childrens's meeting
Cyfarfod Heddwch - The peace meeting
Cynhadledd yr Undeb (Bore Mawrth) - The trinity gathering (Tuesday Morning)
Cynhadledd yr Undeb (Prynhawn Mawrth) - The trinity gathering (Tuesday Afternoon)
Pregethau yr Undeb - Preaching the trinity
Oedfa Wrth Fedd David Griffiths (Madagascar) - Service by David Griffiths' grave
Cynhadledd yr Undeb (Anerchiad y Cadeirydd); - Trinity meeting (greeting by the Chairman)
Y Cyfarfod Diwinyddol; - The Theological Meeting
Y Cyfarfodydd Cyhoeddus;  - The Public Meeting
Cyfarfodydd Pregethu;  - The Sermon
Rhestr o'r Tanysgrifwyr. - The Members Register

It is probably in the "Restr o'r Tanysgifwyr" (Members Register) that you may find your relatives in Machynlleth in 1928.

Heddwch,
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 August 04 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the translation Trystan. As you can probably guess I'm not a Welsh speaker, though I was able to translate a little with the help of on-line translation services.

I found the book on eBay and, having never seen an old book in Welsh offered in CD form before, thought it was an appropriate addition to our range. Obviously, we hope to make a profit out of the books we buy and scan but we also believe that it is important to try to preserve our shared heritage. It's all too easy for publications such as this to disappear without a trace.

Regards,
Graham

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 August 04 23:14 BST (UK) »
Graham,

I think the book may be of interest to a wider audience of Welsh speakers who are interested in the Annibunwyr movement (or Welsh chapels) generally too, not just around Machynlleth.

Da iawn!
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 04 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Trystan,

I thought it might have a wider appeal myself. I also thought that rather than the book being simply an order of service it was also something to do with a conference or meeting as it contains financial accounts as well.

As I said last night, though, one aim was to preserve something which might otherwise disappear. In the 1960s I spent many holidays in North Wales with my parents and brother and everyone spoke English in those days. When Jill and I had a stall at the Llandudno FH Fair two years ago we were impressed at how many people spoke Welsh.

From the point of view of our other (commercial) aim, I must admit that we are hoping to sell a few copies when we are in Llandudno again on 4th September :-)

Graham