Author Topic: Lansdown of High Littleton and later Bath  (Read 1415 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lansdown of High Littleton and later Bath
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 June 22 08:52 BST (UK) »
Death announcement for William Haddack

Bath Chronicle 6 June 1839
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 June 22 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Shaun.  So it seems the spelling Haddock was a misreading or misunderstanding.

And thanks to Neale for pointing me to Freereg, which I'll now investigate.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 June 22 09:18 BST (UK) »
He was buried at St Swithin, Walcot, on 6 June 1839, and I wonder why his wife would have been buried elsewhere -- different addresses given, as well as a different spelling for the surname, so there's still doubt, I feel.

Death of Eliza Haddack in 1831,  and an artist named Haddack of the same address teaching at Bath College in that year
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 June 22 11:34 BST (UK) »
Extracted from the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, 19 Dec 1805 -

On 9th Dec 1805 George Barnard relinquished his business as a Tallow Chandler in favour of Joseph Lansdown. The Soap and Candle Warehouse was opposite Kensington Chapel, Walcot.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 June 22 11:54 BST (UK) »
I much appreciate the help from you people: you have access to records that are not available to me or that I didn't know about.

FreeReg is proving useful.  I trust it more than the Mormons who don't seem to understand that there's a difference between died aged 8 weeks and 8 years, and leave out relevant details.  It also uses the terms surname and forename rather than the hateful "first" and "last" names (ask a Hungarian or Japanese what they understand there).
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds