Author Topic: Is This Vulenza BOOTH  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is This Vulenza BOOTH
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 June 22 07:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your update kinky d.       

Yes, very aware that it is Vulenza you are looking for ... but just adding in other bits and pieces for clarification as well as for elimination -  which may be helpful for those who are assisting in this search.
There is a lot to work through and not everyone has access to all records and nor do they necessarily have background details of this BOOTH family.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 June 22 07:47 BST (UK) »

isn’t this her?

Mmm ... my thought was that kinky d was referring to "the Vulenza BOOTH" (whose daughter was Eliza DICK).    Perhaps I've got that wrong ???

~  Lu

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 June 22 07:51 BST (UK) »
Oh you mean ‘her’ referred to Vulenza! Not Eliza Mary who is the subject of the sentence.
You are probably correct. 😀

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 June 22 07:59 BST (UK) »
Eliza  Mary   dick is   my  great nana, I have  hunted  every  cemetery  in NZ  and not found   her but I keep looking  lol just in case. Lucy   I have no   male booth  b1894   so   must  be  someone elses .
thank you  Shume and Lucy fresh eyes  may crack  it  Vulenza only one of the family missing  now.

Cheers kinky d

Hi mckha   ... should have added (for clarification  ;)) that last line ... "Vulenza only one of the family now missing".       Perhaps kinky d should have the last say on this ???    ;D

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 June 22 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi kinky d

You said earlier you'd only found Vulenza BOOTH on NZ electoral rolls up to 1905-06.

In fact, she is still shown on a roll in 1908.     At same Masterton address > Queen Street > with husband Wiiliam, grocer ... and son, John Francis, painter.

Even though the details for all, are the same as for 1905-06 Masterton roll, it would seem that alterations / updates, have been made to the 1908 roll, as persons recorded have been allocated new (registration) numbers.     
[ On checking the "Removals from Main Roll - 1908 - Masterton"  ... No. 434 - [ = BOOTH - John Francis - painter ] has been removed.   He appears to have then transferred his registration to the Taumarunui roll and is living at Raetihi with his wife Bridget. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 June 22 09:08 BST (UK) »
Electoral rolls  - helpful sometimes ... but not always accurate :

Kinky d ... from what you've said previously, William BOOTH (Vulenza's husband) was already in Auckland by 1907   
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19071125.2.24

And 1908
    https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19080828.2.102
(later sent to Pakatoa Island )  Earlier offences (as inebriate) before courts in April / May 1908.

No sighting of Vulenza BOOTH  at this time and seems his family weren't in the picture either (according to his comments in court).

Offline kinky d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 June 22 00:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I confusing  you all, sometimes what I think to write not what comes out on post, ok so she still in  masterton in 1908  I missed that.  I have no idea why family not in picture while William in Auckland, I have him going into the  hospital in 1924  and  death with Eliza burying him.

Been going back   on my tree and only  one of family that  did end up in Australia is  illget  child of John Francis booth  Claude Francis O'HAGAN b 1901  Wellinton NZ  died 11 Jul 1996  NSW.  It a possible  maybe or I  clutching at straws lol as I couldnt find when Claude went to Australia.

I greatful of your patients with  me as I stumble round in my posts to you

kinky d
OSBORN/E  UK and NZ   Olliff

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 June 22 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi kinky d

... thanks for your post with updates ... and for clearing up the confusion.   :)

As I said earlier, the electoral rolls are not always accurate - sometimes people did not notify that they were moving elsewhere in the country ... and some just stopped registering to vote for whatever reason.       And there are those (especially women) who wished to change their identity if they were say, living in a new relationship. 

It may be that Vulenza had moved away from Masterton before 1908 ???    William certainly had, because there's evidence of him being in Auckland from 1907 at least (and he's not in a position then to provide for his wife.)

*   Were any of Vulenza's other children in Auckland from 1905-06 ??    

Eliza DICK and husband are in Taranaki (1911) then Waikato (1919-1922 e/rolls) and by 1925 living in Auckland.

It does not seem from NZ records that Vulenza has died here (NZ)  before that possible sighting on the passenger list in 1917 to Sydney.   So we have to keep on trying to locate her in Australia.

*    As well as Claude O'HAGAN, do you think there could be other grandchildren of Vulenza who could have gone to Australia (even for a short time) ??

Vulenza is aged 66-67 years, in 1917.   That was considered very old in those days.    If she was off to Australia to live, she would undoubtedly need the support of others - friends/family ?
Also, 1917 was during WW1 -- lots of restrictions going on -- who would have paid her expenses, her fare to Sydney etc ??      Seems odd too that she might have been using the surname BOOTH if she was "escaping" New Zealand for any reason ??
I've also tried searching for her using her second given name of "Mary".   (No luck with that so far).

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 June 22 03:41 BST (UK) »
This is Claude F. O'Hagan returning to Australia in 1968 having spent 3 months in UK ??  (Only has travelling from Southampton so not clear exactly where's he's been).

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=12183203&S=467

He appears firstly on AUS electoral rolls in 1934 at Tully > Herbert > Queensland - Occ.  Farmer.  There until 1941 and in 1943 in New South Wales where he marries.

Death :  11 July 1996 aged 94 - late of Sutherland NSW.  Notices in 'Sydney Morning Herald' 16 July 1996.  wife - Rona Mary O'Hagan died April 1991 :

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WDT19051026.2.14
  > custody case of the child, Claude F. O'HAGAN

Edited to add further info.