Author Topic: Can't find death in scotlandspeople site  (Read 21129 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find death in scotlandspeople site
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 20:52 BST (UK) »
Yes I can see the deaths overseas for some of her children but nothing further on the daughter Eliza ..Maybe the death was in England

Rosie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 21:07 BST (UK) »
Maybe the death was in England
Not according to FreeBMD it isn't.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 21:20 BST (UK) »
The OP says

Her name is on the gravestone in Dean Cemetery along with that of her husband.

Does anyone have access to the MIs?

Add - can't see anything in the FindaGrave  records for them in Dean
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 22:32 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks but, unfortunately, it doesn't give enough information about place of death etc.

:-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 June 22 08:14 BST (UK) »

"Her name is on the gravestone in Dean Cemetery along with that of her husband."

Can you please give the exact inscription that you see on the headstone.

An image of the headstone would be useful.

"I know 2 of her children emigrated"

When and to where did the children emigrate?

Were there any LIVINGSTONE children still around in Fife when Eliza died?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 June 22 08:48 BST (UK) »
If I were you, I would get a copy of the gravstone photograph from Gravestone Photographs https://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=74423 and an image of the relevant newspaper page including the announcement and the page header with date, and send them both to Scotland's People asking why neither you nor the combined efforts of RootsChat have been able to find the death in their index.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 June 22 11:20 BST (UK) »
If I were you, I would get a copy of the gravstone photograph from Gravestone Photographs https://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=74423 and an image of the relevant newspaper page including the announcement and the page header with date, and send them both to Scotland's People asking why neither you nor the combined efforts of RootsChat have been able to find the death in their index.

I second this. A few years ago, I had similar problem with an awol index entry for a Northern Ireland death certificate. I provided probate and burial info that both indicated death had taken place, and had occurred at the person's home address. Despite initial assurances from GRONI that it couldn't have as there was nothing in the index and they could not locate the death certificate either, it was eventually found, although no explanation was ever provided as to why it had initially been 'missing'. So, as Forfarian has suggested, in your instance contacting SP is certainly worth trying, as even official records can be missed from indexes.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 June 22 22:16 BST (UK) »
John Livingstone was admitted to membership of the SSC Society in 1850. I suspect that his business partner was William Wright (SSC 1852). The firm of Wright & Livingstone no longer exists but we still have some 19th century records in our library.

In terms of the  Solicitors in the Supreme Courts of Scotland Act 1871 the Society paid an annuity to widows of members (this was 40+ years before the state pension and all members were male until the 1970s), so there may still be some information available.