Author Topic: Midgard Estate, Cavers, Hawick  (Read 1143 times)

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Midgard Estate, Cavers, Hawick
« on: Thursday 09 June 22 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been looking at a property for years. I don't know why but the mansion itself just interests me so much. It was up for sale some time ago and I think it has now been sold so I don't know who I'd contact really, to stay updated with what they do with it!

But what would interest me is, would anyone know how lived there previously? The history of the lady who owned the house? She kept her husbands ashes in the property and they were still there after she left. Its just such an interesting house, I love it. I wish it could be easier to find the history and current updates.

Thank you :)

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Midgard Estate, Cavers, Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 22 15:01 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this extract helps.

Three generations of Palmer-Douglases went on to live at Cavers. James Palmer-Douglas, grandson of Mary and Edward, was born in 1922, and by the time he inherited the estate it was just 5,000 acres following the sales of farms at Denholm and Spital. Cavers was a so-called ‘entailed’ estate, which meant while the owner could look forward to his descendants being masters of the property for the foreseeable future, it was extremely difficult to sell any of the land. Changes in the law allowed them to sell portions off. James later recalled: “I went to war at the age of 20 in the Royal Air Force, and when I left the services I was in no mood to go to university to study estate management.” During WWII the mansion housed members of the Women’s Land Army.
James moved his family to nearby Midgard in the early 1950s

James Malcolm Palmer-Douglas died Hawick, 2013

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 June 22 16:10 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this extract helps.

Three generations of Palmer-Douglases went on to live at Cavers. James Palmer-Douglas, grandson of Mary and Edward, was born in 1922, and by the time he inherited the estate it was just 5,000 acres following the sales of farms at Denholm and Spital. Cavers was a so-called ‘entailed’ estate, which meant while the owner could look forward to his descendants being masters of the property for the foreseeable future, it was extremely difficult to sell any of the land. Changes in the law allowed them to sell portions off. James later recalled: “I went to war at the age of 20 in the Royal Air Force, and when I left the services I was in no mood to go to university to study estate management.” During WWII the mansion housed members of the Women’s Land Army.
James moved his family to nearby Midgard in the early 1950s

James Malcolm Palmer-Douglas died Hawick, 2013

Hello,

I think I've seen this before and it's abit confusing! I think these people lived in the Cavers Castle. But the property I have seen is on the borders and it is an 11 bedroom house! It's on YouTube too

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zXpP1mjiLY

I struggle to even find it on Google maps.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 June 22 17:27 BST (UK) »
I struggle to even find it on Google maps.
Not surprised. Try using a proper map.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NT5415
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.43514&lon=-2.71395&layers=168&b=1
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.43542&lon=-2.71610&layers=6&b=1

Midgard isn't shown on the first edition of the six-inch Ordnance Survey map, which was surveyed in the 1850s, so it must have been built after that but before the second edition in the 1890s.

It is first listed in the Valuation Rolls in 1895. See attached. You can look up later references in the VRs at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to find out who owned it and who the tenants were between then and 1940.

Looks as if it may have been built as a dower house for Cavers House.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 22 15:51 BST (UK) »
Big old house isn't it https://bannermanburke.co.uk/property/cavers-hawick/

In need of a little decoration  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 June 22 15:54 BST (UK) »
Big old house isn't it https://bannermanburke.co.uk/property/cavers-hawick/

In need of a little decoration  ::)

Monica

Yes definitely! It's so interesting!!

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 June 22 12:06 BST (UK) »
Midgard, or rather Miđgarđr, means Middle Earth and was the name given to our world in Old Norse mythology. It sounds as if the previous owners of the house had an interest in Scandinavian literature and/or the Vikings.

Harry

Offline thehappypixi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 March 24 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello 😁
Funnily I am planning to compile a history of the property and it's previous occupants, just for myself and my family and whoever may live here next!
I am terrible at Instagram, mostly, but I do try and document a bit of what we get up to during the renovation, in between living in it! But you'll find a few pictures there under the.midgardians.
Look forward to chatting to people as I put it all together ☺️

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 March 24 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, thehappypixi  :)

You have a beautiful home (even more so after the restorations I am sure  ;)).

Enjoy.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk