Author Topic: WW1? Uniform and Matching up Records  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WW1? Uniform and Matching up Records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 June 22 13:26 BST (UK) »
I'm not familiar with the fine ins and out of places in Cardiganshire and thought that Tyndolau was a farm name.

I suggest you have a look at the following where you can put placenames in the Keyword Field. No need to put a name or surname but you can put surname if you want. Bear in mind that Ancestry has numerous typo errors. Some of the Welsh placenames fall foul of this. Try various spelling or use of the Wildcard (*)

Service Records
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/1219/

Pension Records
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/1114/

Pension Ledgers and Index Cards
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/61588/
In this one you need Ancestry Fold 3 level subscription to see the actual cards but their existence are indicated on the 'normal' subs level. If you pick up on one come back here with the name & number. The cards/ledgers can also be accessed via a Western Front Association membership.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 June 22 13:48 BST (UK) »
Have had a look at Llangeitho War Memorial now at it seems that Rowlands and Agate worked at the Tyndolau Farm at some stage before the war (this might be their only link to Llangeitho?)
https://ww1.wales/ceredigion-memorials/llangeitho-war-memorial

It's not inconceivable then that there might be a photo of one or both in your collection of photos (did one of them marry someone from your family?)

Agate seems to have served Welsh Regiment, North Staffordshire Regiment and Lincolnshire Regiment.
Rowlands served with the Devonshire Regiment

Google  WW1 Cap Badge 'X' Regiment to see what those cap badges look like and compare to the photos you have.

Offline izzieg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 June 22 09:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all of the information.  I have followed up the leads suggested and my latest (tenuous) theory is that the man in the photograph is Lewis Jones.  He was in the RAMC (cap badge match and service record), looks to be the right age (b. 1893) and lived in Llangeitho (baptism record and service record).  I can't find a connection between him and the Richards family but possibly he was a friend of Timothy or one of his siblings.  To prove or disprove this have been trying to find out what happened to him after the war (presuming he survived as he is not on the memorial) but have drawn a blank.  Any suggestions on next steps to prove or disprove his identity welcome :-)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 June 22 11:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all of the information.  I have followed up the leads suggested and my latest (tenuous) theory is that the man in the photograph is Lewis Jones.  He was in the RAMC (cap badge match and service record), looks to be the right age (b. 1893) and lived in Llangeitho (baptism record and service record).  I can't find a connection between him and the Richards family but possibly he was a friend of Timothy or one of his siblings.  To prove or disprove this have been trying to find out what happened to him after the war (presuming he survived as he is not on the memorial) but have drawn a blank.  Any suggestions on next steps to prove or disprove his identity welcome :-)

The 1939 National Register records:-

Lewis Jones, DOB 15 February 1893
Elizabeth A Jones, DOB 26 January 1897
Margaret Jones, DOB 28 December 1921

Their residence is shown as :Moesllyn Cottage, TREGARON, Cardiganshire

I believe that Tregaron is about 4 miles from Llangeitho

This may be your man?

Offline izzieg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 June 22 19:58 BST (UK) »
Ah thank you, the location is promising as you say, although he seems to be Lewis R Jones and born in Feb whereas the Lewis I am looking for didn’t have an R in his baptism record in Dec. I am assuming (maybe wrongly) that if he had an R it would be on the baptism record and Dec seems a long time after Feb to be baptised?

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 09:47 BST (UK) »
Ah thank you, the location is promising as you say, although he seems to be Lewis R Jones and born in Feb whereas the Lewis I am looking for didn’t have an R in his baptism record in Dec. I am assuming (maybe wrongly) that if he had an R it would be on the baptism record and Dec seems a long time after Feb to be baptised?

I have numerous ancestors that were baptised several months after their birth, even have sevearl where the baptism took place over a year after their birth. Likewise, I have family members in the 19th Century that added a second (sometimes even a third) Christian name to the one that they were baptised with. (An old school friend that I met up with a couple of years ago was baptised Alan XXXXX but after the death of his father, he added his father's Christian name to his own. Nothing is impossible with our ancestors!!   ;D

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 14:48 BST (UK) »
I have several McKay Uncles even their Birth Certificates showing the Date of their Birth for each actually showing several weeks/months After
the Priest had actually Baptised them and recorded in his Consecutive Baptism Log Book
Which shows the actual Birth of each Baby and not as the Registrar
Agreed with the Baby's Mother at her Late Registration

Ancestors made it hard for us Researchers

Reminds us that History is not a Record of what happened.

It's a Record of what people "Said" happened

Which may not be the Truth

Us 21st Century Researchers need to be Flexible and never wear 100% accuracy eyes these days.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 June 22 18:29 BST (UK) »
The National Library at Aberystwyth have Absent Voters for many of the Welsh Constituencies but sadly not for Cardiganshire/Montgomeryshire/Radnorshire. If you have any names/addresses in any of the Northern shires then ask away as I have copies. Also have some of the Southern constituencies.

Hi Gwil, do you have absent voters lists for Cardiff? I’m unable to find service records for either grandfather (maternal one served in RAMC, not 100% sure of the paternal one) or any of my father’s uncles (5 brothers served in total, one died). Thanks
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 June 22 23:17 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid not Deirdre and I don't believe any have been found to exist.

Have you tried the recent 'new' Pension Ledgers? They can be found on Ancestry Fold3
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/61588/
Many have addresses.
As well as name/surname put Cardiff in the Keyword (or any other placename you have)

Have you a number for the RAMC man?