Author Topic: catherine mc bryde  (Read 1752 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: catherine mc bryde
« Reply #36 on: Friday 17 June 22 06:19 BST (UK) »
On some of the baptisms I have came across it states lawful son or daughter of the couple
Maybe try looking at the 1911 census for some of the Tollan or Gorman family might give you a place in Ireland where they came from ..Definitely a lot of variations with the Tollan
Surname  ???

Rosie

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 17 June 22 06:25 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Rosinish. The other baptisms  on the same page of the church register are all recorded under the headings Names of Parents. If there is only one parent recorded there is a blank space for the other.  I dont think the people bringing children for baptism would have lied to the priest.  I know that my ancestor was illegitimate and his baptism record records only  his mothers name in the parent column  and  of course the  names of the sponsors . From what I've put together after almost 20yrs of searching is that Elizabeth TOLAN/plus numerous alternate spellings  had four children. Two were  fathered by a Charles DIVINE and two were illegitimate.  My ancestor was one of the illegitimate sons though no one in the family ever acknowledged it.  There may be even more secrets to be uncovered!.  Regards Orkrad,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 17 June 22 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosinish. The other baptisms  on the same page of the church register are all recorded under the headings Names of Parents. If there is only one parent recorded there is a blank space for the other.  I dont think the people bringing children for baptism would have lied to the priest.
I wasn't insinuating anyone was lying, more on how people were recorded.

I've seen scores of Scottish baptisms in different areas, all recorded differently.

My thought was the baptism may have read with words 'Lawful' / 'Wife' or similar.

I've seen baptisms with 2 to 4 generations of ancestry attached!

I was hoping there was a clue as to whether they were or weren't married.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 17 June 22 07:44 BST (UK) »
From what I've put together is that Elizabeth TOLAN had four children. Two were  fathered by a Charles DIVINE and two were illegitimate.  My ancestor was one of the illegitimate sons though no one in the family ever acknowledged it.
What was the wording on the baptism of the other child of Charles Devine?

Many baptisms were recorded with the fathers' names of illegitimate children, however, I'm unsure whether the father had to be present?

"My ancestor was one of the illegitimate sons though no one in the family ever
acknowledged it"

Can you explain what you mean on the above please regarding 'acknowledged'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 18 June 22 03:29 BST (UK) »
 Hi again Rosinish  perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully---instead of acknowledged maybe  just" never mentioned". I knew my grandparents in name only as they died before I was born. My great grandparents on both sides of the family were rarely mentioned.  I didnt know  my grandfather's mothers name still I started my own research many years ago.  I  find it interesting that my family in Scotland are not remotely interested on where their ancestors came from.  I guess when you  live in another country from  the place where you were born and educated  you feel the need to make the connection to your past. Genealogy is a wonderful  hobby both exciting and frustrating from time to time. Its great to have so much help from Rootschatters.  Thanks Orkrad.