Author Topic: "Discharged soldier out of work" - army record sought.  (Read 231 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
"Discharged soldier out of work" - army record sought.
« on: Friday 10 June 22 10:40 BST (UK) »
The above is the "occupation" shown for a family member in the 1921 census. I can't find any trace of his being in forces, though I appreciate that not all records have survived, and that not all names on records are correct/full/legible! But if anyone can spot anything I'd be v grateful!

Joseph Arthur Holyland (I've seen plenty of missspellings of this, Holland is the commonest but lots more occur)
b 10 Aug 1889 in Leicester (full dob from 1939 census, year def. correct)
No reason to suppose that he was away from Leicester when he signed up.
Married in 1919 in Isle of Wight (?discharged there? Was there a hospital or something there? No family connections there for him or his wife).
I don't know who his NOK would have been on signing up as he was unmarried and both parents dead by then.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Discharged soldier out of work" - army record sought.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 22 11:25 BST (UK) »
I can't help with that but I can tell you that in 1942 he was fined £10 by Leicester magistrates for being a bookies runner.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Discharged soldier out of work" - army record sought.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 22 11:52 BST (UK) »
Ancestry have a Medal Index Card for a J Holyland, served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, service number 1384. (image snippet attached, courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk)

The medal card shows that his war started in France on the 4th October 1914, he was awarded the 1914 Star Medal. Although not shown on the medal card, he would have also been awarded the Victory Medal and the British War Medal.

Find My Past have an entry in the Hospital admission and discharge registers for the No. 11 Casualty Clearing Station. It reads:

2 Warwickshire Regiment; 7 Company; L/Cpl 1384 Holyland, W; age 27 years; 8 full years Army service; 36 full months active service; Gunshot Wound Left Thigh and Trench Feet; Transferred on the 10 October 1917 to number 26 Ambulance Train

My comments on this entry are:

The regiment and service number tie in to the medal card on Ancestry

The initial for his given name shows W instead of J -- I have come across incorrect entries like this in my own research. There was a W H Holyland (service number 3013) that was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment but he didn't enlist until after 20 October 1914 and didn't see active service until 22 March 1915. His service time in the Army does not match with the entry in the medical record.

His age of 27 years ties in with his DOB

His Army service of 8 full years gives an enlistment date of sometime in 1909 -- highly likely that he was in the Territorial section of the Royal Warwickshires. (The Territorial Forces came into being in 1908 and many young men joined the Territorials as part time soldiers whilst still working full time in their civilian occupation)

His time on active service (36 months) ties in to the date on his medal card when he entered a Theatre of War

In your post, you asked .... Isle of Wight ... was there a hospital or something there? -- yes, there were a number of small military hospitals on the island.

Of course, the above may not be the man you are looking for but as his service record did not survive it can not be proved either way.

Please ignore --- I have just found that soldier 1384 of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment was a William R Holyland.