Author Topic: Spark, Sparks in Fife and Midlothian... also  (Read 976 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Spark, Sparks in Fife and Midlothian... also
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 June 22 13:37 BST (UK) »
Given that it's a page from the Edinburgh parish register (ref 685 is Edinburgh) it would appear to refer to Edinburgh St Andrew rather than to the parish of St Andrews and St Leonards in Fife.

The other kirks referred to, for example Tron, New Grey Friars, Lady Yester's and so on, are in Edinburgh.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline j__spark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 June 22 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply regarding the Parishes of Edinburgh.  I thought it referred to St. Andrews in Fife.  Now that answers a lot and why I couldn't find the man in Fife.  Thank you.  I can now close the door on this.  A sigh of relief.  So my mother is a direct descendant of the said James Spark back to Dalkeith and of the same family.  Cool.

Regards

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 June 22 14:01 BST (UK) »
If I read the information posted correctly it looks like

“James Sparks, Gardener, St Andrews, (maybe) Kirkheugh"?

However that’s where he was residing at the time of the marriage.

Assuming he was born say between 1757 & 1770, there were 8 James Spark, 0 in Fife

&  2 James Sparks, the one posted and the other in Greenock.

JAMES SPARK/MARGARET IRELAND, 5  Spark/Sparks children baptised various places in Fife

As the eldest son was ROBERT 2/11/1788 Largo, it is a fair assumption that his father was Robert.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 June 22 14:58 BST (UK) »
I think it reads "St Andrew Kirk Parish" - in other words St Andrew as opposed to any of the other parishes in Edinburgh.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline j__spark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 June 22 17:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of your cooperation on this, as most of them were from Fife, I assumed that the "Robert Spark" would be from Fife.  Mea culpa.  I think I will lie low on this lot for a while.  Once again thank you for your invaluable help.

Regards to all

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 June 22 18:09 BST (UK) »
The fact that he was living in Edinburgh when he got married tells you nothing at all about where he was born.

Offline j__spark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 June 22 18:24 BST (UK) »
My second cousin once removed did the family line back to Robert Sparks and Margaret Muir/Mare/Mair way before the details were on line.  So they did a lot of leg work. James and Margaret  probably both worked in Edinburgh at the time.  I presumed that he was from Fife like her.  I am quite happy with Robert being from Dalkeith.  I'll go along with that.  I think it's a safe bet, and well my Dad was born in Dalkeith, sentimentality creeping in. Typical female.  I went to Dalkeith High.  So it's like a circle.