Author Topic: Monumental inscriptions and beyond  (Read 2543 times)

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
Monumental inscriptions and beyond
« on: Sunday 04 September 05 22:35 BST (UK) »
Don't know if anyone has already done this but what do people think about this idea.

I thought that i would go over the road from my house to the local churchyard and pick a gravestone, say someone born around 1850 and then find them in census returns, bmd etc (obviously you would know their date of birth and death.) Then i could post the info on here somewhere for peoples use incase it tied in with someone. I live in Tycroes, Ammanford, Carmarthenshire.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental inscriptions and beyond
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 05 22:38 BST (UK) »
David,

That sounds like a brilliant idea.  :) It brings the life of that person alive again, and it may well have a connection with somebody too.  ;D

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 05 22:57 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look tomorrow i think. I travel to west wales and back every day and pass many churches, might pick some from those too, see how i get on.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 September 05 22:59 BST (UK) »
Yes - that would be great!  ;D
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 05 10:33 BST (UK) »
Got some photos this morning at the crack of dawn and am gonna start one up tonight hopefully. I'll post in the main area and put a link to it in the carmarthenshire area of roots chat and see how it goes!

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 05 20:18 BST (UK) »
Have posted the challenge in the common room!

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
Yes - well done, it's beginning to take off now too :)