Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 19 June  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 19 June
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 18 June 22 17:37 BST (UK) »

I braved the ironing this afternoon with both side and front windows open in my work room, a nice breeze got up which certainly helped.

Well I hope that Bonny Scotland and the Isle of Man get some improved weather tomorrow!

Advice in extreme heat during day is to close windows & curtains on sunny side and open them on shady side.
Much better day then yesterday here. No rain, bright sun, strong, cool breeze. 
Cowban

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 18 June 22 18:18 BST (UK) »
When the heat arrives, the windows are closed and ceiling fans and the A/C goes on,
I think we have about two months, May and October, when neither the heat nor the Air is on.
I had a nice conversation with a store clerk yesterday who was originally from Winnipeg ( very cold winters there and summers not overly hot) and we agreed we preferred our “home climates”.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 18 June 22 22:28 BST (UK) »

I braved the ironing this afternoon with both side and front windows open in my work room, a nice breeze got up which certainly helped.

Well I hope that Bonny Scotland and the Isle of Man get some improved weather tomorrow!

Advice in extreme heat during day is to close windows & curtains on sunny side and open them on shady side.
Much better day then yesterday here. No rain, bright sun, strong, cool breeze.

I get the Summer sun on 3 sides, so all curtains and windows upstairs are closed (especially if no breeze outside) until the sun goes down, but don't put lights on (only to brush teeth before bed), otherwise moths can be drawn in.

Then at twilight, a large fan on the landing floor (with room for me to pass in the night) facing into my bedroom draws air through the bathroom window, along the landing and pushes cooler air into my bedroom, with both bedroom openers on the vents.

Thank goodness it rained today, the road surface had been melting and few neighbours ventured out yesterday.

Mark

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 19 June 22 00:45 BST (UK) »
Good to hear everyone taking precautions against the hot weather…
 I also pull down blinds part way in kitchen on the sides where the sun is strongest.
We get the sun at the back first thing then through the day it moves around the side of the house finishing up at the front so I’m constantly going round opening opposite windows to get a breeze ( if there is any) and pull curtains partially closed..  I like to have windows open all the time …
I know one should shut everything up when it’s hot as my mum did when we were living in Africa… but there we had tiled floors, ceiling fans , slatted wooden shutters and overhanging roof creating a veranda all around… sadly UK houses not built like that!

Diana your temps are very extreme must play havoc with your body temp system! Hope it warms up but not so much as being unbearable!

Today was definitely a lot chillier and the garden has had a good steady watering… which is great as we’re away from Monday until the following Wednesday so hopefully our friend won’t be coming in to water the veg plots too often!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 19 June 22 08:27 BST (UK) »
IOM Parish Walk

136 competitors made the full distance.
Winning time for 85 miles was 15 hours, 27 mins, 15 secs.

My friend stopped after 13 hrs 28 mins (so 21:30 or so), 52.5 miles in.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 19 June 22 09:14 BST (UK) »
Well done to those IOM hardy folk!
North East of England

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 19 June 22 09:24 BST (UK) »
Great thing about the Isle of Man, is that the whole island is near the sea. I recall going up on the tram to The Bungalow on Snaefell and it being a lot cooler, than the Summer sun down in Laxey. I use to go on motorcycle trips there late Teens, early 20s  :)  :)

The temperature here in Warwickshire is recorded through the night and even the night temperatures are ranging 66 to 68 degrees F., through the night.

The daytime temperature and no breeze outside has been far too hot to open windows.

Opening the front door has been a bit like opening the oven door of a heated oven to bend down and put something in.

So far today, sunny but cooler air  :) Yesterday was cool due to rain  :)

Mark

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 19 June 22 12:12 BST (UK) »
Viktoria
Where art thou!,

Lm
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 19 June 22 17:00 BST (UK) »
Wind speed here yesterday was higher than the daytime temperature. Jacket zipped up to neck over a medium-thick cardie + woolly hat to go for walk. Chilly when sun went down. Wind rattling back door at night. Turned a heater on in sitting-room, 3rd time this month. More like April weather than June. Petals get blown off flowers, some of which are at 45 degree angle & leaves from trees onto path so dead-heading, righting plants flopped on path & sweeping leaves are most frequent garden tasks.
Not quite as windy today, sunshine, 15 degrees.   
Cowban