Author Topic: Mary Gilmore Marshall Campbell- New York?  (Read 780 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gilmore Marshall Campbell- New York?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 June 22 22:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, there are far too many Mary Campbells!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 June 22 23:25 BST (UK) »
There seem to be a lot of Mary Campbells born circa 1869, but in light of the possible death of the mother, I thought this one in the 1880 census in Westchester County was interesting.  There is a Mary of the right age listed as in school, and all the people on the pages around her seem to be either kids in school or people who might work at a school, like a cook or laundress.  I'm not sure what school it is, but maybe it's a place where kids got shipped off to when parents couldn't care for them.  https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:MZNJ-6D5
That might not be her.

image 59 of this set has a note that says "this ends the inmates of the male department of the protectory"

------------
it is probably "the New York Catholic Protectory, ... village of West Chester (now the Bronx)"
https://academicworks.cuny.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1229&context=le_pubs

-----------
Report of the NY Catholic Protectory
List of Girls in the institution, October 1, 1879
Mary Campbell, received June 14, 1878, age 9, both parents living, religion of parents: Catholic
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112050274296&view=1up&seq=466&skin=2021&q1=campbell

-------------
I think they stopped including a list of all the residents with the annual report in 1879. I didn't see a list of children in the institution in October 1880.
They had a list of children admitted from October 1879 to Oct 1880, and I didn't see a Mary Campbell on the list.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 09:07 BST (UK) »
The Gilmores were Presbyterian and I don't think the Campbells were Catholic so will put the Mary Campbell in the above post in the 'probably not' pile.

I did find the 2 Archibald girls going to New York along with Mary G. Campbell and they were also from Glenkeen townland in Aghadowey.
Margaret Archibald lived in N.Y. State and died 1965. Her sister Hester Jane Archibald died 1958 in Long Island, N.Y. A brother, William Higginbotham Archibald went to N.Y. in 1887 so they were probably going to him.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 15:27 BST (UK) »
It looks like this is the cemetery where William and possibly Mary were buried.  https://www.hudsoncrematory.com/  They have a contact form, so maybe you could see if they would provide you with information about who is buried with William.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 15:56 BST (UK) »
Good idea shellyesq  the two  Mary's definitely hard to find  ???

Rosie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 14:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, shellyesq. Will try contacting cemetery now. Also got up to date email for a descendant of Archibald Gilmore's so will see if anything turns up in Florida.