Author Topic: Mary Gilmore Marshall Campbell- New York?  (Read 777 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gilmore Marshall Campbell- New York?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 June 22 17:53 BST (UK) »
The address of last residence given on William's death certificate was 22 University St.  University Place is in a similar area of Manhattan to Bleeker & 11th Streets.  His death certificate says he died in Charity Hospital BI (which I believe is Blackwell Island) and City Hospital seems to be the same place.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Hospital_(Roosevelt_Island)

Looking at the pictures of William on Find A Grave, he may be a Civil War veteran.  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/214249589/william-campbell

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 June 22 17:59 BST (UK) »
this is the same area, but there is no way to know for sure that this is him. The man is not at that address in 1892:
1891 NY City Directory
Wm Campbell laborer, h 307 East 11th

1892 Directory
Mary Campbell widow of William h 71 W 106th
there is no Mary widow of William in the 1891 NYC Directory, but this woman was still on W 106th in 1894, so probably not her.

1894 Directory
Mary widow of William h 72 W 106th

-----------
I can't picture the daughter, Mary G Campbell, going to Ireland without her mother, unless her mother had also died and she knew the family in Ireland would taker her in. But at age 23 when her father died, why not stay in New York?

----------
note for all: John Gilmore died 9 Nov 1892 in Glenkeen, which is when (exactly) Mary G Campbell was in Ireland.

------------
It would be tough on the researchers if they had returned just for a visit, John died while they were there, and then both Marys went back to the US. :) 
Have you looked for them whereever Archibald is after 1863 - which is where?

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 June 22 18:11 BST (UK) »
I did see this UK outgoing passenger record but hard to say if it's her
Mary G Campbell
Birth year 1870
Age 23
 Departure date 26 March 1893 Northern Ireland
Destination New York
Ship State of Nebraska

Rosie

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 June 22 18:26 BST (UK) »
The incoming list for Mary on the State of Nebraska ship says she's a spinster, age 23, native country Ireland, last residence hard to read but something like Uchadee, the place where she was going looks like Gilmore Florida. 

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 June 22 18:29 BST (UK) »
The incoming list for Mary on the State of Nebraska ship says she's a spinster, age 23, native country Ireland, last residence hard to read but something like Uchadee, the place where she was going looks like Gilmore Florida. 

Just going to post think the residence is Achadee and her uncle Archibald Gilmore is in
Gilmore Florida he died there 15 October 1910

Rosie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 June 22 19:16 BST (UK) »
Goodness, I hardly know where to start, so in no particular order-
Reply #11-13 must be Mary Gilmore Campbell.
Last residence "Achadee" is probably Aghadowey.
There is a 7 year old child, Thomas Campbell, with her but born in Scotland and going to Iowa.
Added- not with her but listed below her.

#241 further up the page is Hester & Maggie Archibald from "Achading"? who I will look for in my files just in case they are also from Aghadowey.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:J61N-XJ6

Her uncle Archibald Gilmore (1857/1863- NYC; 1866/1872- Georgia; 1878 onwards- Florida) has descendants that I'm in touch with so will have to ask if the name Mary Campbell rings any bells.

Replies #1 & #9 Find-a-grave pictures of Willie Campbell are wonderful and one does look like Civil War Uniform.

Reply #2- interesting that Mary Gilmore Campbell was baptised as a young child rather than in infancy.

Reply #4- 1875 could be the family- William Campbell's parents were born in Ireland.

Reply #8- I checked Irish marriages & deaths for both mother & daughter in Ballymoney & Coleraine registration districts.

Thank you so much, rosie17, shellyesq, oldohiohome  :D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 June 22 21:32 BST (UK) »
#241 further up the page is Hester & Maggie Archibald from "Achading"? who I will look for in my files just in case they are also from Aghadowey.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:J61N-XJ6

On the outbound passenger list, Hester J (18) and Maggie (23) Archibald were listed on the next two lines below Mary G Campbell.

I haven't found a trace of Mary G Campbell in Duval Co, FL from 1892 ff.

-------------
Searched for Mary Campbell dying in NYC 1869 to 1891.
There is this lady's death and her husband's name was William. The residence is farther north in NYC than the other locations, and there were a few William and Mary combinations, so who knows. Same burial place, though. But his death record said "married" although "widowed" was a choice.

??
Mary Campbell, 33, died 5 July 1874, Manhattan, buried 7 July 1874, Machpelah, NJ
born in Ireland, parents also, parents' names unknown
note: 17 years in USA and NYC
certificate 179893
last residence: 352 W 25th
https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc.gov/view/8122392
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WZ2-BJV

1875 New York City Directory
William Campbell, porter, home 352 W 25th

------------
I saw a few Mary Campbells buried in Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, which I passed over at the time. But her husband William's parents were buried there, so one of them might be her. I didn't go back to try to eliminate them.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 June 22 21:52 BST (UK) »
The Mary Campbell death 1874 Manhattan is interesting (correct age, same cemetery as William Campbell). Interesting also is 17 years in US/NY (c1857) as brother Archibald Gilmore married 22 Jan.1857 in NYC. Another thing is Mary Gilmore Campbell wasn't baptised until 1875.
IF that's her dying in 1874 and husband William was married when he died in 1891 could William have married again between 1874/1891?

I'd also searched for her in Green-Wood Cemetery as lots of Aghadowey people that moved to N.Y.C. ended up there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 June 22 21:57 BST (UK) »
There seem to be a lot of Mary Campbells born circa 1869, but in light of the possible death of the mother, I thought this one in the 1880 census in Westchester County was interesting.  There is a Mary of the right age listed as in school, and all the people on the pages around her seem to be either kids in school or people who might work at a school, like a cook or laundress.  I'm not sure what school it is, but maybe it's a place where kids got shipped off to when parents couldn't care for them.  https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:MZNJ-6D5