Author Topic: SYRETTs in Norwich  (Read 989 times)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
SYRETTs in Norwich
« on: Sunday 04 September 05 23:24 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on SYRETT ancestors in Norwich.  According to the 1851 census, my ancestor - Thomas SYRETT - was born there c1807.  I believe he may have had a brother called William.

Thomas SYRETT married Mary BALLARD in 1828 at Gorleston-with-Southtown, Suffolk.  They had one child there, then moved to London, where the remainder of their children were born.

Thomas was something to do with the confectionary trade - confectioner, pastry cook, biscuit baker etc. at various times.  A Thomas SYRETT had a shop in Market Row, Great Yarmouth, in the 1820s.

Any information would be very welcome!

Thank you.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: SYRETTs in Norwich
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 05 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennie,

There are Syrets on the IGI website www.familysearch.org
I found Thomas Syret b. 16 Jun 1806, bapt. 22 Jun 1806  St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, parents Thomas Syret & Mary Waters (batch no C044881)
Other Syret baptisms with same parents found on the site (same batch no.):
Amelia Syret 1808, Mary Ann Syret 1810 (died 1811), John Warters Syret 1815, Frederick Syret 1820, Mary Ann Waters Syret 1824.
Hope this helps,  Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SYRETTs in Norwich
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 05 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara ...

Many thanks for your message.  Since my original posting I had found this same family on the IGI, and am pretty sure they belong to me!  (The 1830 Pigot's Directory for Norfolk lists two Thomas SYRETTs having bakers/confectioners shops around the Market Square/Market Row, and I think this must be father and son.)

Just a bit worried about the lack of a William, but I still have to confirm that my other contact (who says that Thos. jnr. and William are brothers) is talking about the correct family!

Thank you for your interest.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.