Author Topic: William Mosley in Dipton  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Mosley in Dipton
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 June 22 16:47 BST (UK) »
To River Tyne Lass and Tickettyboo

Thank you both, I now have a much clearer picture of the way things happened.  My original information, to give you one example, was that Elizabeth's burial place was St John's , Westgate and Elswick - removed from St Philip's parish.  Then I saw her listed as Elswick Cemetery with a 1934 burial date.  I thought she had been buried in three places until I read your explanation!

To JenB

Thank you for explaining the principal of consecration in these larger cemeteries.  So, as I believe they were Methodists, I presume the Minister conducting the funerals consecrated the graves at the time of the funerals so although it was technically unconsecrated ground until the funeral service ended - the completed graves were consecrated.  That makes me feel better.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 June 22 17:10 BST (UK) »
The phrase 'removed from St Philips parish' is a bit confusing but it simply means that she died in St Philips parish and that her body was moved from there for burial at Elswick.
She was definitely only buried once  :) (unlike some at Jesmond Cemetery whose bodies were exhumed and reburied elsewhere in the Cemetery in 1971 in order that the land could be used for a new dual carriageway - which was never built).
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 June 22 22:03 BST (UK) »
Glad to read that you feel better about the burials Elliven. :)
Just as an aside, when I looked at this burial register yesterday I noticed that quite a few people who died in the  workhouse during that year had 'Medical College' in the end remarks column.  I presume this meant that they were sent to medical science before burial.  All very noble and commendable if someone choses to do that but it sounds quite unethical to me, if someone ended up there simply as a consequence of destitution. :-\
At least the Mosleys were spared this having died at home and not at the Newcastle Workhouse.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 June 22 23:56 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass,

You are so right.  William had sold his business and it continued to prosper - in fact it was still doing well when I moved here in 1972.  So I think he would have a little nest egg to make his last years more comfortable.  Certainly when his wife and daughters died he would have been able to support them financially.  Considering now that what remains of the Workhouse at Lanchester has been converted to expensive housing, I saw it after it had been standing empty for a good few years and it was a depressing place.  I hate to imagine what it must have been like for the inmates.  William's cause of death was senile dementia and I am happy for him that he did not have to endure those conditions whilst he was still mentally alert.  Regards  Neville