Author Topic: Stick To Your Guns!  (Read 14043 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stick To Your Guns!
« on: Wednesday 15 June 22 10:26 BST (UK) »
I would just like to say to all those out there who do genealogy properly and resist the pressure from others to add unsupported generations to their family tree, stick to your guns! You can feel like you're missing out seeing others adding those generations but it's better to have a smaller tree that's right than a bigger tree with mistakes on it.

Blue

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stick To Your Guns!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 17:24 BST (UK) »
So true ,at least then future generations have true links to from which to move forward .

Seeing as how I have Father Christmas in my tree ( it was my Dad!) ——-
Viktoria.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 22:31 BST (UK) »
My sentiments entirely, I cringe when I hear people say that they have "Traced their Family back to William the Conquerer." I have Mark Antony in my tree but he was born in the 20th century  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 22:41 BST (UK) »
Or they accept hints of a marriage 200 miles away from where the couple lived and just take it as gospel. I.e. a James Hamilton and Mary having children in a rural North Oxfordshire parish in the mid 1700s and a researcher has accepted a Ancestry hint for a marriage down in Liskeard, Cornwall in 1745. Try much closer to home first, never just accept the "nearest fit". 

You may be able to trace to Billy The Conq but if you do find a possible link, it can take ages to verify it, and make sure it is verified first, then you can claim Danny Dyer as your cousin.  :D
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 June 22 03:29 BST (UK) »
Many yrs ago I sent lots of verified info. to distant cousins, certs. appear on theirs' & others' trees (many shared), however, there are also additional bits added which puts the whole lot out of sinc.

The main thing being...my 2 x g g/mother was a widow who remarried but had children to both marriages & some of those others whose trees I've seen have all the children to a combined marriage with extra children too  ???

I'm unsure whether to leave things or get in touch as I was in touch over 1 yr ago with someone else (opposite side of my tree) who had wrong info. & I provided the correct info; received a 'thank you' but the error still remains!!!

I've found so many errors on others' trees since currently adding my own tree to ancestry, it'd be a full-time job informing people of errors  ::)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 June 22 07:49 BST (UK) »

I'm unsure whether to leave things or get in touch as I was in touch over 1 yr ago with someone else (opposite side of my tree) who had wrong info. & I provided the correct info; received a 'thank you' but the error still remains!!!

I'm sure we've all had that experience, probably multiple times.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 June 22 08:01 BST (UK) »
Or they accept hints of a marriage 200 miles away from where the couple lived and just take it as gospel.

I had one like that, but I duly investigated and I'm glad I did. Husband (with unusual surname) was born in Yorkshire then married. The couple baptised several children in a village a couple of miles away from his birthplace. So obviously I looked for the marriage in that very small area. There being no evidence that the man had moved very far from this small part of Yorkshire. No luck.
A hint popped up of a marriage in London. Timing fitted (year before baptism of first child), but location seemed way out. I put it on the back burner, until I found the man mentioned in the will of a local aristocrat. He had been his valet. When I researched the testator, I found he had a London residence and had got married some years earlier in the same church in London as appeared in my rellie's hint. So it seemed much more feasible. A valet would have travelled with his master back and forth between houses in Yorkshire and London and likely met his bride when in London and married in her home parish.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 22 08:38 BST (UK) »
I had one like that, but I duly investigated and I'm glad I did.

That's the proper use of a hint. They are there to be investigated.

We have all come across trees where a "family" has three children born in the same year on three different continents.  ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 June 22 08:53 BST (UK) »

We have all come across trees where a "family" has three children born in the same year on three different continents.  ;D

....And several years after the supposed mother's death  ;D