Author Topic: Pension Index Card  (Read 917 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pension Index Card
« on: Friday 17 June 22 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hello
           I applied for a search for a soldiers service Record and they found a record and a pension record so I have applied to purchase them but may take time.
The National Archives have sent a complementary pension Index Card dated 1891 with an Invalid number and a Widow number. The soldier died in December 1865 and was buried in Nashville Cemetery. I wasn't aware that he had married and I am puzzled that this record was created 26 years after his death? His cemetery entry says he was a pauper, age and cause of death unknown. Any thoughts most welcome. Thank you
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pension Index Card
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 22 21:39 BST (UK) »
When did the widow die? could the 1891 date be her death?
I remember being sent a pension record for a NYC policeman dated years after he had died & the date was when his widow's pension stopped upon her death.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 22 23:52 BST (UK) »
I don't know anything about her? I hope the record will shed some light when it eventually comes. He enlisted and was mustered out at Poughkeepsie N Y so it makes sense that he would return to a sweetheart at Nashville where his company had guarded the railroad
Thank you
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 22 04:00 BST (UK) »
There was a change to the law in 1890 (Pension Act 1890).  This changed the eligibility requirements for who (including which widows/orphans) were entitled to a pension.

So potentially previously she hadn't been eligible, or hadn't been aware of her eligibility until the new law came about, and therefore had not applied until 1891.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 22 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, it explains perfectly.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 December 22 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
                       I am still waiting for the records but meanwhile I joined Ancestry again and found another Pension Index Card, it has the same application numbers as the one sent by the Archives in Washington but with extra information.
It was filed by Eliza Collins in Connecticut, it says invalid Sept 2 1891, widow Feb 29 1892.
John had been dead since 1865
He was the only Collin in co H 150 NY Infantry apart from a Jeremiah Collins in another company. They are all listed in The Duchess County Regiment.
I am totally confused, wish these records would come to resolve it.
Thank you