Author Topic: Early birth records Devon  (Read 734 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Early birth records Devon
« on: Sunday 19 June 22 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
    I am still looking for any possible births from 1806 (Plymouth??) to anywhere up to the mid 1820's for children of WILLIAM BYRNE (Royal Marines) and CATHERINE DINAN (DINEEN?).

This couple were married at St. Andrews in Plymouth in 1806 so hoping that some children may turn up.

William left the Marines in 1822 after 24 years service and they appear on the 1841? and 1851 Census in Woolwich Kent.  William was a Publican by then.  Would love to fill in the gap between 1822 and 1841 if possible.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Early birth records Devon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 22 05:54 BST (UK) »
1841 he is "P" for pensioner. - Mary Carver is the Publican
1851 Pensioner Royal Marines  (back of the Carpenter's Arms High Street) Elizabeth Beton/Beten is the Publican

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 22 06:11 BST (UK) »
FinMyPast has early Plymouth parish registers but you may want to look further afield.  I have a Marine (just a bit later than this) born in Plymouth and joined the Marines there, married in Chatham in 1830, and has children born in Chatham, Woolwich, Canada and Barbados.  You may find this link helpful

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/birth-marriage-death-armed-forces/

FindMyPast also has the GRO Regimental Birth Indices Supplement (1761 to 1924)
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 22 06:17 BST (UK) »
Did any of his records at National Archives include Wages Allotments? With the address of his wife receiving them, (hopefully).

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 22 06:50 BST (UK) »
South Eastern Gazette 23 October 1832

John James and James Bailey were sentanced to imprisonment for 4 months in the House of Correction, for having stolen shawl, a gown piece, and two pieces calico, the property of William Byrne, at Woolwich.

Kay

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 June 22 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks everyone
I have not seen anything to do with Wages Allotments!  I guess I will have to ask about that!  I only have his attestation papers from 1797 to 1822.

William joined up in Dublin! Don't know if that is of any help really.  I don't have a subscription now for find my past, would ancestry have the same records??

Thanks for the extra information on the census re Mary Carver as the publican I had not seen that nor the reference to Elizabeth Beton/Beten.

William had the "Hampshire Hogg" from about 1823 onwards.  Thanks for the tips.  I thought I maybe able to find something on the Old Parish records (or was it bishops transcripts for the really early baptisms)that were once available. 

If there had of been any children may all of well been gone from home by the census's.  Thanks to everyone.  Kind regards Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 June 22 06:54 BST (UK) »
HI Kay wow just saw your post re the South Eastern Gazette 1832.  Wonder if that is Uncle William.  These are the snips I always hope to find, just in case.  Will be interesting to see if more is mentioned in the newspaper.  Thanks so much.  Regards Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 June 22 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
   This was just sent to me also re William Byrne.

"Looks like William Byrne was a shop keeper. A John Wilton was sentenced to 3 months (reported SEG on 5 July 1831) for stealing a waistcoat from him worth 1s-6d."

There were no more details for this though as to where William was located etc.  I will follow up at the Kent Archives and Kew also.  Thanks for your time and input.  Much appreciated. Kind regards Dianna

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 June 22 08:08 BST (UK) »
Could I just point out that pre-1837 and the start of Civil Registration, births were seldom recorded. ;)
What you do have, however is baptisms.

While the majority of baptisms were within days or weeks, some religious denominations didn't baptise infants, only adults.

My own daughters (now 44) have never been baptised. :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)