Author Topic: Early birth records Devon  (Read 735 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early birth records Devon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 June 22 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
   This was just sent to me also re William Byrne.

"Looks like William Byrne was a shop keeper. A John Wilton was sentenced to 3 months (reported SEG on 5 July 1831) for stealing a waistcoat from him worth 1s-6d."

There were no more details for this though as to where William was located etc.  I will follow up at the Kent Archives and Kew also.  Thanks for your time and input.  Much appreciated. Kind regards Dianna 

If it might have been a shop, is there any chance of Directories for that time?  :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 June 22 10:54 BST (UK) »
I did find this on Anc :-\

Name:    William Byrne
Initiation Date:    9 Mar 1823
First Payment Year on Register:    1823
Year range:    1813-1836
Profession:    Victualler
Lodge:    Royal Marine Lodge, Woolwich
Lodge Number:    418
Folio Number:    277

Kay

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 June 22 23:20 BST (UK) »
HI Kay99
   This is great! Royal Marine Lodge?  Wonder what that is about.  Did you find this on Ancestry UK?? I have never seen this before!  I guess this is him paying for his publican's license perhaps.  Great something else for his timeline.  Regards Dianna

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 June 22 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Dianna

The record is from Anc UK https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1461564:60620?tid=&pid=&    Other members of the Freemasons Lodge include  Sergeants in Royal Marines, other Victuallers, Shopkeepers etc.  I wonder if the name of the Lodge relates to the Barracks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marine_Barracks,_Woolwich

Kay

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 June 22 22:37 BST (UK) »
HI Kay thanks for that.  The link you kindly sent does not work for me as I do not have a subscription for the UK ancestry.  I will work around it I guess.

The wikipedia link is fine though and I can read about the Royal Marine Barracks.

Just getting back to your reply #10 how did you find that please.  What was the heading (or other) in the catalogue/s  or did you just type in William BYRNE.  I will make some enquiries as possible repositories in the UK (and perhaps here) that may be able to help as there may be more to discover.

Also with the Allotments they seem to be on family search and I will dig around there today.  Thanks for your time and help regards Dianna

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 June 22 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Dianna

Searched for William Byrne living in Woolwich, Kent - then refined the search by selecting the Filter of Directories and Members Lists

Good luck Kay

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 June 22 04:21 BST (UK) »
HI Kay thanks for that.  The search continues.  Now looking at Freemasons records.  All the best Dianna