Author Topic: Could someone just confirm what I知 reading here?  (Read 588 times)

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Could someone just confirm what I知 reading here?
« on: Tuesday 21 June 22 13:58 BST (UK) »
This young lad was sentenced to ten years for desertion, I知 not sure what the last line means? The  young man in question was killed in action three days later, could his sentence have been suspended or changed? In a letter to his father the army told him they have not record of a suspension of his sentence, hence no payments etc.
Census Information Crown

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone just confirm what I知 reading here?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 14:11 BST (UK) »
I read it as:-

In arrest awaiting trial Nil.

Given the date, hostilities were still going on and given you write he was killed three days later it is a presumption that they needed every person on the line and he was put there.

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 14:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that,  he is commemorated by the CWGC, but I guess he was technically still a deserter in the eyes of the his army.

Steve
Census Information Crown

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 18:13 BST (UK) »
The CWGC (or as it then was, the Imperial War Graves Commission) adopted the policy "to erect headstones, of the usual pattern, over their [ie those who had been executed for desertion and other serious offences] graves without any reference to the manner of their death" Source: TNA WO93/49. 
On that basis the IWGC would not have differentiated the commemoration of this soldier, even if they had known that he had been found guilty by a Field General Court Martial.

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I hadn稚 looked it up, just naturally assumed they thought he was a war casualty and commemorated for that.

Steve
Census Information Crown