Author Topic: The Dreadnaught Boys  (Read 850 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: The Dreadnaught Boys
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 10:57 BST (UK) »

He appears to have a sister Mary Alicia born Londonderry 1903 on the 1921 (using free searches)

Mary Alicia Harris born 16th April 1903 at 34 Clooney Terrace, Londonderry. The informant Jervis Brownell, occupier of house.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1903/01869/1727732.pdf

1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Clooney_Terrace/1539833/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 11:01 BST (UK) »
Also, a slightly different account in the Nuneaton Chronicle 23rd feb 1923 "Bulkington Boys Adventure"
"Off to Australia"
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 11:15 BST (UK) »
The father Joseph Harris was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. Commissioned as Lieutenant in 1903.

Army file up to 1903:  https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO97%2F5054%2F087%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO97%2F5054%2F825117
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 11:20 BST (UK) »
George is listed with the Dreadnought boys on page 9.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=446092

Make sure you also read all the documents from the beginning, they never fail to entertain.

Debra  :)

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Wow. I downloaded (from Irish Genealogy) the MC for dad Joseph Harris and mum Alicia Brownell and the BC for the 4 children - Joseph Shannon 1901, Mary Alicia 1903, Harriet 1905 and George 1907. Jervis Brownell was Alicia's dad. I also have dad Joseph's military record which said he had been in Malta, Gibralta and Hong Kong - it said that the family had been with him.

I definitely will look at the 1921 census. I found the 1911 census for dad in Malta but didn't see one for Alicia and children - I'll have another look for it today on FindMyPast.

Dad Joseph was born in Bulkington. I will also have a read of the newspaper articles - I too find the old newspapers very entertaining, informative and sometimes very sad.

I guess boys will be boys wanting a big adventure. I have a lot of homework for today, lol.

I did find George in Moree 1930 living in a railway construction camp - a labourer and in Shellharbour 1931 working as a farm hand. He married Bertha E Winter 1936 and died 1945.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 21:58 BST (UK) »
If you look at my reply#7 you will see that I have given some details of Alicia and children on the 1911 census.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 June 22 00:31 BST (UK) »
I downloaded the 1921 census transcript and image and found the newspaper articles - thank you for all of that. I also went through all the pages of the SS Euripides folder. It's all very interesting. George's father cared enough to go to London to look for his son and his friend - he was good Dad.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 June 22 07:29 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 June 22 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I'll add them to the Brownell family. On the 1939 census, I found dad Joseph, a widower,  living with his married daughter Mary Alicia Blackwell and her husband's parents at 91 St Helens Rd., Southend on Sea, Essex but there's no record of his wife Alicia's death anywhere or where she died. Nor of George's sister Harriet after the 1921 census.

I want to say that I am extremely appreciative of all the help, links and suggestions offered to me.