Author Topic: Help needed to read Testament Dative please  (Read 430 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Help needed to read Testament Dative please
« on: Wednesday 22 June 22 16:16 BST (UK) »
This is the first paragraph of the TD of Andrew Clark, who I believe died in 1669.

I've had a stab at it but haven't done very well: The Testament Dative and Inventar of the goods gear debts and soumes of money .... pertainit to umqlls Andro William Johne and Jonet Clarks bairns lawfull to umqll Andro Clark of Westermoffat .... faithfullie made and given up be Jonet and Issobel Clarks .... nearest of .... surrogat in place of me Johne Livingstoune .... of ye comm[issari]at of Glasgow .... '

Can anyone make out any more of it please?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to read Testament Dative please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 21:39 BST (UK) »
………...sommes of money
Q(uh)lles perteinit …………

……..to umqull Andro Clarke of Wester moffat within the paroschen of *Bartrumshottis the tyme
of ther deceasses glle was in the moneth of Januarij and ffebrij 1669 years and in the moneth of
marche & May 1670 years
faithfullie made and givin up …….

I haven’t got to time to do the rest at the moment - will take a look later this afternoon if nobody else has chipped in

John Livingstone will be Pr(ocurato)r fiscall of the commisariat of Glasgow

* possibly. You may know the name of the parish better than me
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 21:52 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thank you.

Yes, the parish of Shotts is also known as Bartramshotts.

I did notice that there seemed to be several dates listed but it's beginning to make sense now.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 22 00:06 BST (UK) »
The testament dative and Inventare of the goodis gear debtis and soumes of money
Q(uhi)lkis [= which] perteinit to umq(uhi)lls Andro William Johne and Jonet Clarks bairns Lawfull
to umq(uhi)ll Andro Clark of wester moffat within the parochine of Bartrumshottts the tyme
of ther deceasses q(uhi)lk wes in the moneth of Januarij and ffebr(uar)ij 1669 years and in the
                                                                                                                           moneth of
marche & May 1670 years ffaithfullie made and givin vp be Jonet and Issobell Clarks father
sisters to the defuncts & nearest of kine to them & ex(ecuto)rs datives surrogat In place of Mr
Johne Livingstoune Pro(curato)r fiscall of the com(missa)riat of glasgow who is ex(ecuto)r dative
                                                                                                                           decernit to the
s(ai)d defuncts goodis gear and debtis Be decreit of the commissar of glasgow upon
the ffourt day of Junij 1670 years As the samein [= same] bears

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 22 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, GR2.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 22 21:57 BST (UK) »
Just re-reading this Forfarian.
Poor old Andrew Clark lost four 'bairns' within just over a year - 2 at the beginning of 1669, and then another 2 in the spring of 1670. I wonder how they all died.
I wonder if there was some sort of epidemic then? It would be interesting to see if there more deaths than usual in the parish register at this time, and if there is  any comment at all about how any of them died.
What a hard life some of our ancestors had.  :-\
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 22 22:11 BST (UK) »
It would indeed be interesting, but the Shotts parish register contains no burials in 1669/1670.

It would also be very interesting to know when Andrew Clark died.