Author Topic: Robert Johnston, Margaret Bowman, Fallagloon, Co. Derry, Ireland  (Read 712 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Robert Johnston, Margaret Bowman, Fallagloon, Co. Derry, Ireland
« on: Wednesday 22 June 22 22:42 BST (UK) »
Robert Johnston married Margaret Bowman about 1842 (I don't have the marriage record) and their daughter Margaret was born Apr 23, 1843 in Aghagaskin and a son James abt 1848(unverified). Their youngest son was Robert Johnston born Feb 10, 1867 in Fallagloon.
I am looking for the death of Margaret Johnson/Johnston nee Bowman. There is a death Nov 5, 1873 who is a possibility in Magherafelt and the next entry is James Johnson, in 1874, in Magherafelt, age 23, both of whom had Robert Johnson present and they did have a son James. Another death for Margaret was  Jan 15, 1895 who is the widow of Robert Johnston but the death is in Drumerow so thinking not likely.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thank you.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Johnston, Margaret Bowman, Fallagloon, Co. Derry, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 23:52 BST (UK) »
You are absolutely right on, heywood,  with James and his father was Robert, a farmer, at time of marriage.
There was a daughter Isabella born to Robert Johnston and Margaret Bowman June 25, 1864 in Fallagloon, her father Robert, a farmer.
Then there is a marriage of an Isabella Johnston in 1885 to James Harvey, in Belfast, can't make out name of church, and her father is Robert, a builder. I have to think this is a different Robert although there are trees that think otherwise. I have been looking for the birth of an Isabella in Belfast to Robert, a builder, or joiner, but can't find her but she could have been born before 1864 with marriage in 1885. I found them in 1901 in Belfast, Upper Newtonards Rd., her age 38, oldest son William age 14 and census says she was born Co. Down although it is written in afterwards. Can't find William's birth but did find second son Robert born in Belfast in 1888.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 22 07:51 BST (UK) »

Then there is a marriage of an Isabella Johnston in 1885 to James Harvey, in Belfast, can't make out name of church, and her father is Robert, a builder.

Bella Johnston married James Harvey in 1885 at Gt Victoria St Presbyterian Church. One of the witnesses was a Lucy Johnston.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10872/5970776.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 22 08:03 BST (UK) »

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 22 08:16 BST (UK) »

I found them in 1901 in Belfast, Upper Newtonards Rd., her age 38, oldest son William age 14 and census says she was born Co. Down although it is written in afterwards. Can't find William's birth but did find second son Robert born in Belfast in 1888.

House 136 in Upper Newtownards Road (Victoria, Down).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Victoria/Upper_Newtownards_Road/1219566/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000719021/

She gave Dromore (in Co Down) as her place of birth but it was scored out and written as Co Down (by the enumerator?).

Robert Johnston Harvey
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02498/1926660.pdf

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 June 22 09:08 BST (UK) »
If this is the right family, there is that death for Isabella in 1884 and James still alive in 1911.

Were  there any more children, Peggy? If so, do you have records for them?

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 June 22 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you KG for your help with the links and the map. That is marvellous. Also for the church where Isabella was married to James Harvey.
And heywood, I think you are absolutely correct that Isabella, daughter of Robert Johnston and Margaret Bowman, died in 1884. Further proof that the Isabella who married James Harvey is a different person.
There is one online tree which has the death of James Harvey as July 26, 1920 at 158 Runnymede Parade, Belfast and the death of Isabella as Sept 18, 1939 at 39 Runnymede Parade and I think they might be onto something. They also have Isabelle’s birth as 1863. I wonder if Lucy Johnston, witness at Isabelle’s marriage, could be a sister, but of course could be any relative or the wife of a sibling or whoever. Also there is William Blakely. We know Isabelle’s father was Robert, a builder, but we don’t have her mother.
Thanks KG and heywood.