Author Topic: Ancestry- Private tree  (Read 496 times)

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry- Private tree
« on: Thursday 23 June 22 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My tree on Ancestry is private although if anyone asks I always allow them access.  Now I know I may have missed this but it now says that a person invited can view the tree AND leave comments?? Now where would they leave comments, on my tree??  How will I know if people have left comments?? I am sure when I first allowed people to view my tree it was simply that, view the tree.  Has anyone else come across this, because if they can leave comments then I will simply allow no one access which is a great shame.

Kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry- Private tree
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 22 13:13 BST (UK) »
A few months ago Ancestry changed its terms and conditions perhaps that is when this was brought in, I moved my trees because of the changes so cannot check if it was the same on mine.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 22 14:25 BST (UK) »
If you go to the profile of a person in any public tree. Then to the 'Tools' dropdown on the right hand side and open 'view comments', you can also write a comment.

i don't know if you would be notified by Ancestry if someone had left a comment, though
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 22 15:11 BST (UK) »
as with everything with ancestry being notified is hit and miss
in "old" days it was on your home page along with people of interest to you  nowt now on the very confusing so called home page.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 22 17:28 BST (UK) »
This page will hopefully explain it more fully for you:

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/Notes-and-Comments-in-Trees

I often leave comments on trees, usually helpfully suggesting that if the owner cares to actually read the documents they have attached, they will clearly see they have absolutely no bearing on the person in their tree  ;D.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 22 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My tree on Ancestry is private although if anyone asks I always allow them access.  Now I know I may have missed this but it now says that a person invited can view the tree AND leave comments?? Now where would they leave comments, on my tree??  How will I know if people have left comments?? I am sure when I first allowed people to view my tree it was simply that, view the tree.  Has anyone else come across this, because if they can leave comments then I will simply allow no one access which is a great shame.

Kathy

Not sure there is anything more restrictive than Private Kathy.

Why would you not want helpful comments that might be applicable to your tree?  Not sure you can ever find them other than happening to click on the person to whom they relate - not sure there is any kind of search facility to find them.  You might well have some on your tree now that you are not aware of.

They are only comments - no changes to your tree.  Its just part and parcel of collaboration isn't it?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire