Author Topic: A lost second lieutenant  (Read 966 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A lost second lieutenant
« on: Thursday 23 June 22 15:08 BST (UK) »
I realise this is a long shot but any thoughts would be welcome. I am trying to identify 2/Lt G.H. (full names unknown) Addison, who was court-martialled on 9 November 1915 and subsequently sent to prison for two years for 'gross indecency' (homosexuality). He was serving in 10th Black Watch. I have been unable to find a G.H. Addison in the 1911 Scottish census, and the only mention in newspapers I have found of him is a report in the Aberdeen Press and Journal, simply reporting the court martial outcome, on 9 Dec 1915. This might suggest he was from that area?
 ???
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A lost second lieutenant
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 22 15:42 BST (UK) »
His seniority date was 29 April 1915 (per Army list for August 1915).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 22 15:44 BST (UK) »

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 22 16:22 BST (UK) »
Shaun as always, you are a total star!! Guy Harold, whoop whoop. Now I know what I'm digging for.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 22 17:54 BST (UK) »
Here's the confirmation in the Gazette. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29390/page/12064

I can see now that this was published in several newspapers, naming him as Guy Addison or Guy H Addison. He seems to have been a fairly busy actor pre-war.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 22 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun, thanks to you I've been having fun finding his reviews! A lot of them, um, describe him as 'adequate' or 'a studious performance' although one goes so far as 'a plucky performance'. He died in 1921 of appendicitis and I can't see that he returned to the stage after the war.